Did i just miss out on the zaskar bargain of the century?

Hmm...

Sorry if I'm being negative, but often when someone's selling something desirable on ebay and doesn't know anything about it I smell a rat. I don't know anything about this particular seller but if I were the owner of one of the most desirable bikes of its day then I'd have more to say about it.

If I'd robbed it on the other hand...

oooww I hope not :shock:

Christ your unstoppable, think we need to hold an intervention for daj and get him into retro re-hab...stat!

The Rehab has started I havent looked on ebay all evening!! :D

red_dread":yumujh6c said:
Hmm...

Sorry if I'm being negative, but often when someone's selling something desirable on ebay and doesn't know anything about it I smell a rat. I don't know anything about this particular seller but if I were the owner of one of the most desirable bikes of its day then I'd have more to say about it.

nah...there are plenty of people who bought nice bkes bitd, but were not enthusiast, then either they or a family member puts the bike up for sale a decade later, not understanding that it has a following and good value still.

It happens more on craigslist than ebay, and usually on ebay, by the end of the auction, they understand that they have something valuable.

Dave
If you get there and its not a Zaskar, please walk away. Dont waste £91 that could be well spent on your other bikes.

Dave
If you get there and its not a Zaskar, please walk away. Dont waste £91 that could be well spent on your other bikes.

I know what your saying Jon... Dont really know what to do now, We all know its not going to be one and Do I really want to drive over 300 miles to walk away from something that I knew before leaving the front door?

Doesnt help either knowing that someone asked the question about the groupset which isnt going to be worth the drive either.

hmmm :roll:

daj":18okz4vs said:
Dave

I know what your saying Jon... Dont really know what to do now, We all know its not going to be one and Do I really want to drive over 300 miles to walk away from something that I knew before leaving the front door?
Doesnt help either knowing that someone asked the question about the groupset which isnt going to be worth the drive either.

On that basis, ask him for a pic of the all-revealing end cap. Tell him that your concerned its not genuine, and if he wont send it to you there is your answer ;)

daj":2gd7pi8f said:
Dave
I'm not an expert in GTs, but I'm surprised nobody on here can identify what it is. The style of the top tube gusset ties it down to around 93 and it's not impossible that a Zaskar was custom-painted, but I can't identify the decal style. It's clearly a GT though and if it has a Zaskar decal, then he's justified in selling it as a GT Zaskar and you wouldn't be justified in walking away from it.

Why don't you say you're concerned that it's not a genuine Zaskar as they were never sold in that colour and ask him to send you a higher resolution picture of it? Then we can have a better look.

I think it's quite a nice-looking bike and if the fork works then it's worth £91, even if it isn't a Zaskar.

Just had a look at the '97 GT catalogue.

Two that stand out with the same gusset are:
The Tempest, available in an olive colour, Shimano alivio and acera-x.
The Arrowhead, available in green, Shimano altus.

Neither had V brakes. looked in the '96 and '98 catalogue but couldn't find green colours. I don't have any other catalogues...

Cheers for that, I have been searching searching and searching online for GT catalog he did supply a serial number which could suggest a 1994 model ? But cannot find a 94 catalog online.

Back