Diamondback Apex build

Some very nice methodical and careful work there :)
Are you sure the rear hub didn't come from Ikea? Might explain the rogue bb. :LOL:

this weekend i will be mostly putting all the bits i have together and taking pictures :)
still pondering a new powder coat job though....any East Sussex recommendations?
trying to secure some champagne Ritchey bars that i think will go pleasantly with the Mavics.
got bar grips and cable outfit for gears.

all thats left is a seatpost, saddle, front mech and pedals and possibly a stem....

Re:

The Mrs is away this weekend, so once I've put my sprogs to bed its all go!go!go!
Won't get mine finished this weekend, may even need to dismantle it after I build it up so I can hide it all again!

some late night fiddling....

not sure about the stem and tyres....not quite sure what kind of wall colour would compliment the rims.
stem, think i just want a Ritchey wet black WCS.

Re:

How are you twain? I'm partial to Diamond Back MTB's so I'm loving your thread. Not only does the LX group look good on your bike, but I believe it is the group it originally came with. I have a few build I'm procrastinating on at the moment, one of them is a smoke color theme Apex, and the other is a 1993 Gt Karokoram in black light. I'm not sure what year the Diamond back is, have to do some checking.

I'll be watching with baited breath for the completion of you new trusty steed, and also to find out the origin of the rogue ball bearing. Looking amazing so far twain.

Re: Re:

Your build it taking shape really nicely, and I really like how the LX and black parts look on the frame. Even better than the original components this particular frame came with! And so far this is looking like the best Diamond Back Apex build I've ever seen.

artsyfartsy":qfejkdub said:
Not only does the LX group look good on your bike, but I believe it is the group it originally came with.

As the original owner, I should say that the 1996 Apex, at least as sold in the UK, came with only a small amount of LX (rear hub, 8 speed cassette, rear mech), in contrast to earlier models which I believe had much more complete LX groupsets.

Hi ultrazenith, So this is about a 96 vintage? I believe my Ascent ex is of the same vintage or at least had the same Diamond Back script on it. It has mostly LX on it. The Hubs, crankset, brakes, frt and rr mechs, pedals, and bottom bracket. I've upgraded the shifters to all in ones as compared to the crappy twist shift style it originally had. One item of note: my cantis are black chrome. My bike is from the states, so there might indeed be different grouping on it from bikes sold elsewhere. Thanks for the correction, and it goes to show me that the learning
never stops.

Either way, the LX looks great on trains Apex.

thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it :)

ive just secured some Ritchey WCS Prolite handlebars (in matching colour to the rims) so i am keen to see how these look all mounted up. got some ritchey foam grips and a Shimano gear cable bundle to get it all geared up. i wont be touching this until i return later this month after a well earned holiday that begins tomorrow :)

am in need of a saddle and stem and pedals if im to get some sort of rideable build out of this :)

Back