Devon or Cornwall? Your thoughts please.

Hi Dr S,
I hope this helps, are you plannng to camp or looking for somewhere to rent? i live between totnes, dartmouth and kingsbridge. there is lots of things to do locally with not having to spend to much time in a car, if i can make some suggestions for days out.

Woodlands leisure park, (camping and theme park) great for kids, lots of indoor stuff, incase it rains. check the website, If you want comp day tickets. . . no probs.

Dartmouth (sorry the historic town of dartmouth) lovely place, can also catch the RETRO . . . sorry steam train into paignton to go to the zoo, like others have said stay away from the town centre (full of pound shops and grockles)

Blackpool sands is a private beach, so spotless, shop, toilets and cafe.
(no dogs allowed)

Slapton sands (pebble beach) greatest fish and chips at the Start bay inn which is at one end, also bird reserve there. Also toilets and ice cream vans, and for the adults. . . nudists beach (strete gate end) and later on . . . dogging!

Totnes town. (hippie capital of the uk) very old and nice too, Bike hire at hotpursuit cycles,(great guys into retro too.) also nice walks along the river dart (boat trips between Totnes, Dartmouth and Brixham daily.) ps. glass blowing at dartington glass. . . think there could be a cider press there to otherwise asprinton vineyard.

Brixham. Lovely fishing port (great day out if you catch the boat from dartmouth) karting, pitch and putt (short bus ride from brixham)

the list goes on, if you would like more info on the south hams (the area between the A38 and coast, between torquay and plymouth)
see South hams website, the whole area is marketed towards the tourist industry but you will find great days out without thousands of people, North devon/north cornwall is generally quiet compaired to here, also better beaches ( north coast, lots of sand, better surf) and as for Cornwall in general, well i leave that to anyone from cornwall can't comment to much, working in devons tourist industry i rarely get out during the busy times and if i do i'll be hiding in the garden or up on the moors. I'm sure wherever you go you'll have a great time.

Cheers AB.

I grew up in Devon and one reason why we never went on family holidays away was because everything was on our doorstep. That, and we were skint.

yep plenty of day trips to places i cant remember , lots of country houses , beachs :cool:

shoudave said you were going to brixham , i lived there between 95-02 :LOL:

i used to ride down those steps ( as well as many others )

its not really a place to take a family ( fook all to do )

paigntons crap really ( lived there for a few years too ) great scene for bmx but thats not what you want :LOL: there is a zoo though and you could see the lions ad things from safeway ( i guess its a morrisons now ) carpark

torquays ok , biggest of the 3 but full of northerners on holiday . loads of clubs and pubs so can get messy into the evening

totnes is full of hippies :LOL: has that vibe . did an engine swap in an hour on a mates driveway in totnes . rideable distance from brixham

sExeters good , used to work there , good city

plymouth is a hole but good for riding street

cornwall doesnt have any real roads :LOL: you will be stuck behind old people or a vw camper struggling with a hill

avoid all the larger places , newquay has been a bust for many years , looe is nice . brother lives in st ives , good for driving practice :LOL:

3_470x350.jpg

you wont go far wrong wherever you are if you just want a nice relaxing time

Don't forget to go to the Eden Project, kids of whatever age love it!

Edit: just seen that paulstottuk already said that, but if you want a day out then you can't beat it

perry, why did you leave? the whole family fell in love with the place, the mother in law is even planning on selling up and moving down there! we were at a wedding at berry head hotel which was cool! except the groom has a tanker poking out of his head in all the photo's! :LOL:

oh yeah paignton zoo is very cool. the living coast is also worth a visit. not for a whole day though.

Pembrokeshire & or the Gower. Loads of stunning beaches lots for kids to do.

Both are lovely parts of the country
Cornwall has its pasties[good for post ride sustenance]
Devon has fab cream cakes[good for pre ride energy]
Both have Cider :D [also important in cycling ;) ]

I'd go to Cornwall so you can ride to 'lands end' ,theres always tons of cyclists there[who may suggest rides in the area :idea: ]

Thanks for your help guys. Shame that Torquay has gone downhill- loved it as a kid, used to stay at a hotel just over from a Rolls/ Bentley dealer on the road out to Paignton- hours spent with nose up against the glass.

Taking everything on board and what I have seen on tinternet I think we'll go for South Hams. Theres a small place ( Stoke Flemming) near Blackpool Sands that looks promising and it's not far from Dartmouth/ Totnes etc that should make a good quiet base.

Is Dartmouth still alright? What do you think?
Si

Devon rules!, they are a bunch of oddballs in Cornwall (they actually want indepence from the rest of the UK), but i suppose i'm biased as i grew up they and spent 20 years of my life there.

Back