Please don't use Evri / Hermes...... better alternative

My own evri horror story from this very morning.

I get up(about 8am), TV on, watch a bit then decide to go online and check my controversial posts(about which pattern of holes to use in an MFT -multi functional table - a work bench thingy for those uninitiated in diy)
Decided to look in the emails, see whats there and there's 2 from wiggle via evri carriers..
I click on the top one - 'Your parcel has been delivered' Eh ?? news to me 🤔 but i open it and theres a pick of my new Rockshox Lyrik fork sitting propped up against my front door. I run to the door, open it and ...

Nothing. :oops:

POO.
I knocked on the door opposite and thank the lord the neighbours have seen it lying there and taken it in for safety's sake.

But here's the thing. evri haven't bothered their arse to ring the bell,press the close buzzer or even knock the door. They've just put it at my door, taken a pic of it there then naffed off. Jobs a good un. Your parcel has been delivered.
If it had been stolen, i can't see how i could have proven that. they have a pic so they clearly were at my address, but without an oen door policy, any claim would be a nightmare to sort and the only real recourse to prove that I didnt get it would be a court case where i can show it was just left there and i hadn't been informed of its arrival.

This was my bargain lyrik. I got on wiggles clearance ebay site. But when i opened the box i find instead of he steerer being 265mm as per their pic on the auction, its been cut down to 200mm. So it likely has to go back.
I could make it fit. the fork steerer currently on ebike(fox 36) is 218-220mm and theres 20mm of spacers under the stem. I might have to usew something with a bit of rise and maybe up the bar rise too, but its really really annoying that after the panic due to evri's dodgy delivery, the fork isnt ideal.

I got it for £230 and its new, which is a hell of a good deal as you'd be normally shelling out £450, so Im stuck in a dilemma. But thats by the by. Just glad it is safe when it could have very easily been stolen.
I've sent a rather long note to Wiggle about this, explaining all the points and the bad practise that evri are engaging in, and how i would now be considering never buying from Wiggle again if thats the risk i have to run.

I'd a parcel from Axminster tools delivered yesterday via DPD. They operate on an oopen door delivery policy, so they have to take a picture of the parcel at the door, the door actually open, and recipient standing there, rather than evris pic of it just being there at the door.

I like parcel force for frames. You need to get the dimension right to get the volumetric size belt m below 300cm*, but if you can then it will go standard 48 hr for a tenner and theyll collect from the house.

*107 X 65 X 28 if you are cutting down a bike box

I only use parcel force or royal mail....they employ not sub out....I'd rather a guy turns up wearing a uniform then my local evri courier who's 4'2" 85 lbs and 9 years old and still in his school uniform.

We have an enclosed front porch which is usually open so our Hermes driver normally just puts the parcel in there without knocking. The only problem is, for some unknown reason, she always slams the front door closed and it's loud enough to wake the dead. I don't know why she does this and it usually scares the crap out of us because we don't know she's there. It doesn't stick, the handle works just fine and all the other couriers can close a door properly. I just don't get it, maybe it's her way of notifying us we've had a delivery but on balance I'd prefer she rang the bell :rolleyes:

That's the thing... probably paid by the drop not a an actual hourly wage. Corners cut means quicker money. All part and parcel scuse the pun of what's wrong in the world.

I'm usually an advocate of Royal Mail/Parcelforce, but in this last week they seem to have managed to lose, a set of carbon road wheels sent out from work to a customer and a set of Avid Tri-aligns inbound from @pw_pw_la for me! Neither were particularly cheap and it's frustrating to say the least!

Back