Please don't use Evri / Hermes...... better alternative

Tootyred

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
For the last couple of years ive been using those parcel comparison sites ....you know parcel2go etc.

It seems quite handy to get a few prices for things and compare services.

I must admit, i still try to use parcel force as I've personally never had a problem, plus Ken their driver is a star.

However, some packages, kinda between huge (bike frames) and small (royal mail small parcels), they just cant compete with people like Evri ( new name for Hermes).

My last package i tried to send via p2g / evri ran into some problems.....it never got collected...they missed 4 days worth of collection dates! So i can cancelled it and used somebody else.

Last night in the local pub, i found out why! The local evri bloke is on holiday! Yet they are still taking orders for delivery and collections.....and seemingly have found no cover.!😂

Just shows what a bloody shower they are if a multimillion operation collapses because one minimum wage employee goes to magalooof or wherever for 2 weeks.

Btw, im now not using parcel 2 go any longer as they were less than no help. I had to print 3 new labels (one for each new collection they raised), and at the end had no meaningful help to offer. I actually asked the "manager" what the point of an intermediary who can provide no help or information to the customer when thing go wrong ?......they blamed Evri and seems suprised when i pointed out to them, that as they had taken my money, i held them responsible......just kept saying it was Evri......like skool kids...

The "other" service i decided to use was actually parcel force, but NOT through a comparison site. I actually went direct (on a recommendation) this actually turns out to be far cheaper on all services including on those tricky size parcels than through parcel 2 go and of course you have direct contact with the physical carrier.

I also started an account so i can " sign in". This has reduced the cost even more on some services and makes booking easier.

Yes, they are still a couple of quid more than Evri, but......and this is a BIG but....you get immediate £100 compensation.....not £20......which you have to pay to increase with many carriers!

I know somebody will have a parcelforce horror story, but its a numbers game....and i think for me one that parcelforce always win.

Last edited:
I ship a lot of items daily with parcelforce and wouldn’t use anyone else.

No idea why people use Hermes when we all know their reputation.

For bikes/frames ive always used paisley freight, ive never had any issues with these, but prices are higher than average so may put people off,

That's always been a bit of a problem.....it makes kit look expensive....

I try to include postage in the price, as its in reality what its going to cost you for that part by the time its hit your front door mat!

But maybe i need to break it down.....its the reality of shipping..

Don't think I've ever sent anything via Hermes/Evri.

Always RoyalMail / ParcelForce for me, and at least a signed for service. Their website is easy to use, gives you plenty of options, and they offer collection - although I just pop to my local village shop to give the voluntary workers something to do - its all about community spirit etc...
Paisley Freight or ParcelForce for bikes/frames, either dropped off or collected.

What bugs me are the sellers who charge as if they are using RoyalMail, then the parcel (and when I say parcel it often means gaffer taped shopping bag 'bundle') turns up from via Evri.

That said, our Evri delivery guy is absolutely faultless - perhaps he doesn't take a holiday!

I don't get poor packaging! I don't want to have to deal with an irate buyer, who's just got a pile of broken parts! It seems a very strange counterintiuiative idea.

I've used Evri/Hermes without issue since I joined this site at started selling my kit. Aside from a couple of lengthy delivery times they've been faultless.....until the last item I sent. Fortunately it was an item of my own that was being sent back to the manufacturer for repair, rather than something I sold to someone here. It simply 'disappeared' at one of their sorting centres. I suspect someone quite fancied a moderately valuable pair of boots and helped themselves to mine. Currently awaiting a decision on compensation, not feeling particularly confident but don't intend to let them off the hook.

Thanks for the info about ParcelForce, I'll check them out.

Things are getting even more bizarre!

Despite the order being cancelled 3 days ago with parcel to go, the temp Hermes carrier has now turned up the last 2 days looking for a parcel !

I explained on the first day, then again the next.....

Shambolic..

The parcel has gone with parcel force 48h for a whole 62p more, including full insurance. Colle ted when they said, label came ready to stick on with the driver, so none of that printing and sticking nonsense either....

I see a brave new world.....pity I've almost sold all my stuff now🤣

It is always a gamble whichever company you decide to use to deliver your items for you. As i always say in these threads, make sure you have adequate cover for the items and pray you do not have to make a claim.

I would like to balance the thread a bit though. Expanding on my above comment they are all as bad as each other, the larger companies seem more pro-active at having negative feedback removed by google, which google will do if it impacts on your business, the point of feedback surely? Though there is still plenty of information through other sources. Ofcom for example fine RM millions of pounds every year for failing to uphold their services to customers. Thousands upon thousands of letters and parcels are lost every week, some do argue that they handle larger volumes than other carriers so the percentages can work out less, true, but that still doesn't take away from the mystery of where do all these items vanish too!? The above statement about a driver off sick so some collections were not met, last month RM moved a worker over to a different round to cover that, not being able to cover the round left by the moved worker they decided to not deliver at all, leaving 3 villages without mail for 3 weeks, when confronted they said all the mail had been lost in the system and refused any compensation. There are similar comparisons amongst all carriers with gripes about service and standards etc, that is another thing that is rarely if ever posted about, how good a service is, people love to complain, rarely to commend :)

Latest posts

Back