Dekerf Team SL 853 Single speed

Donny Dee":36eqecfa said:
Any idea an eventual weight build?

I've no idea! In my experience, its all about the angles :D

My main MTB weighs 30lb, its rigid, and beats my full suss friends up all the hills, and down all but the rockiest.

Having said that, i'll keep this updated as i go along with weights. We have proper scales in the workshop so its no bother if people are interested. :)

I'm swaying more toward V brakes at the mo. The solution i had for the rear canti brake hanger may prove a little difficult and end up looking a bit messy.

I'm also pretty settled on the drive train. I'l try and keep it all White industries, hopefully, if budget allows. I've never seen better SS kit than the eno hubs and chainset. If any one has other recommendations, i'm all ears!

NeilM":yqnl3ddi said:
Raceface cranks are plentiful, well priced, light and Canadian.

Mmm yes, could be good. Did they do a SS specific? Not that it would really matter..
Middleburn was also on the list, but again i'd use an old RS3 or similair with just one ring.

Raceface have some DH single speed cranks, but they may be a bit hefty.

I'd be inclined to got with Turbines or similar and just fit one chain ring.

Ex trials Middleburn RS7 single speeds are cheap as you like, but they do look like they've been repeatedly smashed on rocks... mainly because they have. :shock:

Paul's hubs are tops, easy to adjust, lightweight and plenty strong.

For SS cranks I would go with Paul's if you can find them for a reasonable price, but any double or triple will work just fine. I prefer 180's for the extra torque when grinding up hills.

My rigid 01 IF SS is 20lbs right now. I could drop more weight but that's not important to me.

Mr.Toad":3tuuuvoz said:
For SS cranks I would go with Paul's if you can find them for a reasonable price,

I'm not sure of that's an oxymoron or an impossibility, but Paul's, and reasonable price, are not usually seen in the same sentence. :mrgreen:

NeilM":1h1tg3f1 said:
Mr.Toad":1h1tg3f1 said:
For SS cranks I would go with Paul's if you can find them for a reasonable price,

I'm not sure of that's an oxymoron or an impossibility, but Paul's, and reasonable price, are not usually seen in the same sentence. :mrgreen:

I'd agree... we spec a fair few Pauls bits on custom builds at work, and they are indeed top drawer, but maybe a fair bit out of my price range.... but you never know.

I've been toying with the idea of 180mm cranks. I'll crunch some numbers and see. Ground clearance is important to me, but an extra 5mm over my usual cranks shouldn't matter. On my SS cross bike i have 172.5, which are bang on, but i don't do many climbs as its my work/towpath/pup bike.

I've had race face before, but only in an external bearing BB. Most of the sets i see are Isis, which are awfull. I'll set up an ebay search for some older Square taper ones and see what pops up.

Thanks as always for the input and discussion! Certainly makes it more interesting.

Mr.Toad":aolg2mnu said:
My rigid 01 IF SS is 20lbs right now. I could drop more weight but that's not important to me.

I've just been admiring this on the Singlespeed thread.... very cool!

I'm already convinced you'll have a blast with this frame :) enjoy it man

Regarding choice of cranks, these thin tube frames look very balanced and neat with Tune big foots

Back