Dawes Galaxy - Refurb - a few problems.

Re:

So how loose is too loose!?
I'd say it is supposed to stay where you put it, without tightening the binder bolt. Insert an inch or so of the post in the tube, and let go. If it falls further into the tube, the post is too small in diameter.

On the other hand, I'd say that it should be possible to move a post up and down in the tube, by hand, without twisting the post. If you can't do that, the post is too big in diameter.

That's how I like 'em, anyway..

Ted66":7yi2vyaj said:
Well done on the BB and seat tube, I mentioned the cable for front mech as a ref to what I did knowing that your pic showed the correct way of its time (like the one I worked on), changing it is personal preference of course, you don't end up with too acute of angle on the cable but you do need a longer outer cable, I must admit the galaxy cabling(mine) didn't look as good as the frames in Legrandefromage photos,Have fun....

Regarding the BB area, I expect more problems from the cranks in future. I'm getting a torque wrench in to get them on without my guesswork but I'm always dubious about square tapers - probably from youthful bodging around with them.

The photos were lovely weren't they? Prompted me to take off my cable to adjust my own a little.

torqueless":7yi2vyaj said:
I'd say it is supposed to stay where you put it, without tightening the binder bolt. Insert an inch or so of the post in the tube, and let go. If it falls further into the tube, the post is too small in diameter.
On the other hand, I'd say that it should be possible to move a post up and down in the tube, by hand, without twisting the post. If you can't do that, the post is too big in diameter.
Pretty much what I was expecting to be able to do, but the original 27.2 was only just removable by hand. No corrosion mind :). I'll want to see what another 27.2 sits like before I commit to anything.

The post should slide in like a piston - any rattle when wiggling it sideways means it's too loose and the contact points will be the tip of the post at the bottom and the clamp.

Older posts in older frames often need a little wiggling, usually due to muck. Clean them up and it should slide smoothly. A light smear of grease will help - and prevent water ingress and it seizing into the frame.

Back