Dawes Galaxy - Refurb - a few problems.

hamster":18bwfk68 said:
I would clean out the seat tube carefully. After all the years there is probably some muck and corrosion in there. A twirl of 400 grade wet & dry on a stick will work wonders. Do this with the tube facing down, so the muck falls out not in. A load of PlusGas sprayed inside will help loosen all the crud. Usually I would be wary of this thne working its way into the BB, but this time it's no worry as that has to be serviced too.

While there will be distortion on brazing the frame, 531ST tubing is nominally 27.4, so a 27.2 usually fits. I would be wary of a 27.0 as said.

lol. I used to love an arcade game called "Tube Panic".

yes, I might have made an error in ordering a 27.0 - but it was only a £10 stem.

Good idea for sanding it, I'd never have thought of that. Though there's no rust down there at all, that I can see.

I've just this minute pulled both cranks without any trauma, so I'm happy about that - though with them off that BB now sounds like i'm raking gravel.... so no doubts about it needing a service then...

I'm also now pretty certain it's an '83 bike - the hubs are dated, which is potentially great for anyone with original wheels on their Dawes.

Hi and good luck I 've just tidied up a 70's Galaxy for a friend, the front derailer works opposite to any other I've worked on so setting up was done on the large Ring first then the small ring, What I do when facing a difficult BB is remove the Lefthand cup and spindle first and this allows you to lub the righthand cup from the inside, if its really locked on you can lub for couple of days allowing plenty of time for the lub to work into the cup, I've had to on a couple of occasionally losen using a vice rather than the correct tool using the frame as leverage but care and attention needs to be taken, if you've never done a BB like before just remember to lub lub and once more.....hope some of this helps

Re:

Cheers.

I'm ok with old BB's. It's press fit and the like that intimidate me. I'm intend to have to go at this one from the left anyway and probably won't undo the right at all - assuming I could, you know what they can be like.

Interesting about the front derailleur. This one wasn't positioned correctly when I got the bike.

Hi again, I just had a look at your photos very nice bike love the colour and interestingly noticed the route of the gear cable to front derailleur just like the one I worked on but I rerouted it under the frame like the other cable that runs to the rear derailleur thought this looked better and less likely to catch on shoes or clothing etc, with your bike in such good condition I reckon the BB will be a doddle.......

My friend's friend has collected the bike but will be returning it next weekend for me to fit mudguards so will get some photos then, I've put the cable under the BB shell and up behind the the seat tube like you see in most racing bikes only the galaxy dose'nt have the plastic cable holder which normally screws into the BB shell, will send you photos next week. by the way when I say BB shell I'm meaning the frame where the BB goes not the BB itself.... cheers

That cable routing is perfectly normal and correct for that frame.

Many frames used this route. It keeps the cable out of the elements but does require the front mech to have its own cable stop or at least for some, an extra cable stop if the mech doesnt have one.

The angle is possibly better for shifting too as its not so accute as under the BB.

campag-front-cable.JPG

panasonic-cable-stop.jpg

IMG_20151004_1723066_rewind1_zpscu5ldqmd.jpg

Re:

Checked my photos, and that's how mine sat.

The bottom bracket is also fine - just removed it - just needs some new bearings.

That 27.0 tube also arrived. I've tried it and it fits in fairly easily. So how loose is too loose!? It's 40mm long, 350mm or so of which is going to be in the tube?

Well done on the BB and seat tube, I mentioned the cable for front mech as a ref to what I did knowing that your pic showed the correct way of its time (like the one I worked on), changing it is personal preference of course, you don't end up with too acute of angle on the cable but you do need a longer outer cable, I must admit the galaxy cabling(mine) didn't look as good as the frames in Legrandefromage photos,Have fun....

Back