Dawes Galaxy - Good, Bad and Pretty Ugly

dirttorpedo":2rsd476v said:
If you're going to split it I would be interested in the mechs. PM me if you do.

I currently have another of the Suntour VX rear mechs sat in my workshop, I do have a Raleigh front mech very similar to the Suntour fitted to the Dawes also sat spare, along with a set of Suntour Power shifters, if you were interested in the set I will give them a good clean and get some photos for you.

I think I'd try a Mavic 600 series bottom bracket in this situation.
It's probably your best bet at distributing the load away from the damaged area.

Re:

ScottS":1yffno22 said:
dirttorpedo":1yffno22 said:
If you're going to split it I would be interested in the mechs. PM me if you do.

I currently have another of the Suntour VX rear mechs sat in my workshop, I do have a Raleigh front mech very similar to the Suntour fitted to the Dawes also sat spare, along with a set of Suntour Power shifters, if you were interested in the set I will give them a good clean and get some photos for you.

I am. I've seen a number of Raleigh badged Suntour mech's on eBay so I suspect there is a good chance the Raleigh front is actually a Suntour. I have a set of Suntour friction downtube shifters so don't know if I need the Power Shifters. Are they an upgrade from the typical Suntour friction unit?

Completely forgot about this thread/the mechs I was going to photograph. I will get on that this weekend.

The frame has now been stripped and welded, BB may need refacing so will be getting on that soon. Any suggestions for paint, I was thinking Hammerite direct to rust as I can't warrant a powder coat. Hammerite also seem to do some decent colours that last a while.

I wouldn't use hammerite for a bicycle frame.
It tends to be a relatively thick coating and can take weeks to cure properly.

Kurust, followed by etch primer and rattle can finish would work.
Or if you don't want all the prep effort, a wrinkle finish paint can look good in an industrial kind of way.

Re: Hammerite

I have used Hammerite on bicycle frames for years. If you need to wait weeks for it to dry you aren't using it properly.

I use Hammerite on heavy old bikes. I recently restored an old 60's Royal Enfield frame. It was very pitted, but Hammerite in just a couple of coats made it look great, and by the time I added a basket and panniers, and custom decals it looked every bit the rustic ride to the allotment it was built for.

Hammerite is a great way to learn how to paint. You can hide every mistake, which is not so easy when you have to spray multiple coats of enamel.

Re:

Thought I'd update this, may even add some photos later.

I've finally finished the bike, BB shell welded, new cables, everything degreased, new bar tape, new chain, god-awful Hammerite paint job.

Now on the lookout for a set of panniers and a rack but the frame doesn't seem to have mounting eyelets on the rear triangle, which is strange for a tourer but anyway.

This is the first bike I've ever owned where the seat post isn't at the minimum insertion point, which is great.

Have you thought about carradice and support? Very retro. Oh and 65 is a nice size for us normal people.

Back