Dawes Edge Reynolds Hardtail MTB - Yellow.

PeterPerfect

Senior Retro Guru
I can't seem to find an awful lot of information about the one I've got.

TBH, I've never actually seen one before and tinternet has not been that helpful.

I think it's @ 1996 ish.

I'll post some pics on Friday.

if it's reynolds 853 it's 1996. Somewhere I have a scan of the spec but I've been searching for a 1996 full catalogue for a very long time.

Edit - I've sent the scans I have to you

Last edited:
No it isn't that one.

Mine is Reynolds 631 Dawes Edge Team.

I'm going to see if I can get a suitable front wheel for it as the one that's currently on it is not even period correct.

Then it's going up for sale.

I haven't got a Scooby Doo what it's worth though !

Last edited:
So, I found out some more about the history of this bike. It was personally owned by the owner of a bike shop in Bristol that closed in 2017. I have traced him and will be chatting to him this Saturday.

I was concerned that the Bristol Post code stamped over the frame number was suspect but apparently, it was not uncommon to prevent them from being copied? Who knew, I certainly didn't. Seems such a shame to have done this because I can't decipher the frame number!

I'll post some photos shortly.

Last edited:
Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 20230316_153614.jpg
    20230316_153614.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230316_151607.jpg
    20230316_151607.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230316_151554.jpg
    20230316_151554.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230316_151539.jpg
    20230316_151539.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230316_151510.jpg
    20230316_151510.jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 49
I don't know the original spec of this so I'm unsure as to what's original and what isn't.

It's got an XT front v brake.
Never seen the rear v brake before. I think it's an Alivio as it has an A stamped into the metal work on it.
Mismatched wheels.
Manitou Sport twin air front shocks.
Ritchey seat post which I believe is original.
Brand new Shimano Deore 9 speed v brake levers and shifters.
STX triple chainset.
Ritchey Logic headset.
The front mech is an STX, not sure about the rear mech.
Non original bars, stem and saddle.
Currently running 9 speed.

I can now make out that the embossing is for the Ritchey dropouts.

So it's definitely a project for someone with the right parts to finish it.

The paint needs a good polish but apart from a few scratches to the paint, there's no dings or dents.

Is this measured from the centre of the BB to the top of the seat collar for frame size? If it is then it's an 18" frame. The sloping top tube measures 21" and the head tube is 4.5".

TBH, I'm not sure how to proceed with this. Do I sell it as a frame only or as a rolling chassis and let the new owner sell off what they don't want/need for the build? Any tips would be much appreciated.

BTW, I know it's rare as I chatted to a Dawes salesman who's been with them for donkeys years, there was no brochure for this as it was never put into full production. They ummed and ahhed for so long that eventually went for the Dawes Sardar touring in the Reynolds 631 instead. A few were given out to test the water but he's never seen a yellow one !

Last edited:
I looked at the pictures and thought that must be Dawes Sardar type age due to the 631 tubing shape, then read your post above. Early 2000's then and rare as you say.

I looked at the pictures and thought that must be Dawes Sardar type age due to the 631 tubing shape, then read your post above. Early 2000's then and rare as you say.
And as I'd previously noticed, there's no braize-ons for a rear rack or mudguards which the Sardar has.

It's certainly an interesting one, if it was slightly bigger I'd have been interested in buying it to sit between my 853 edge and 631 sardar.

Back