Dawes 1993 Double Edge Tandem

That's ace :)

Also: top marks for the cunning wheel support to help the workstand along a bit :)

Re: tandem

kirbdug":1c5z9qqg said:
might volunteer - will see what your bike riding skills are like on this sundays retrobike ride at woodbury common.
looks good fun

cheers kirbdug :D

Oh dear...forgive him lord(Tim) for he knows not what he says :LOL:

fingers":2zo3i6jc said:
Whats that on the rear hub?

it's the emergency drum brake gizmo that a lot of tandems have. The stoker has the lever.

EDIT. Just noticed someone else has answered already.

I actually raced one of these a couple of times BITD

The Sachs freewheel sttripped all but 3 of it's cogs, and we ovalised the rear seat tube......

There is a US Ebay seller selling off the 40H Shimano rear tandem hubs cheap- they have a heavy duty freehub and a thread for the Arai drum brake. Well worth the upgrade.

Andy

kirbdug":1xwbkbfr said:
might volunteer - will see what your bike riding skills are like on this sundays retrobike ride at woodbury common.
looks good fun

Yeah, that'd be cool Mark. May be blue or purple runs at Haldon would be a good test.

kaytronika":1xwbkbfr said:
Tandems never fail to raise a smile. Heh.

Yep, that's what I remember :D

chrisv40":1xwbkbfr said:
Whats it stop like with cantis?

I imagine with 20-30 stone of riders its a little scary :LOL:

Badly :LOL: Ssshhh, don't tell Kirbdug!!! I have plans to fit some HS33s but I need to get the rear lengthened first.

MikeD":1xwbkbfr said:
That's ace :)

Also: top marks for the cunning wheel support to help the workstand along a bit :)

Cheers! :p

Harryburgundy":1xwbkbfr said:
Oh dear...forgive him lord(Tim) for he knows not what he says :LOL:

Mr B. My riding isn't that bad!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Tazio":1xwbkbfr said:
it's the emergency drum brake gizmo that a lot of tandems have. The stoker has the lever.

:LOL: :LOL: Isn't it called a chicken lever or Jesus lever???

fatfixie":1xwbkbfr said:
I actually raced one of these a couple of times BITD

There is a US Ebay seller selling off the 40H Shimano rear tandem hubs cheap- they have a heavy duty freehub and a thread for the Arai drum brake. Well worth the upgrade.

Thanks Andy. I'll see how I get on with it. I doubt it'll get thrashed much and no plans to race it yet. :roll:

I've got two Dawes MTB tandems - they are great fun and we use them for taking kids to school plus light offroading.

Cantis are scary, but V's (especially on the back) are much better. However Maguras are definitely the best solution. The drum brake is a drag brake for long downhills and saves you frying the rims. I've seem some folk on a Cannondale tandem get through a set of disc pads in 40 miles - not fun with 20 to go.... :shock:

The biggest problem I find is with a lack of ground clearance when going over humps - it's easy to ground the timing chain or one of the pedals. Traction can be interesting if you have a light stoker too...

Let me know if you are selling the Top Touring tyres, I might be interested...

hamster":f6a71f2c said:
However Maguras are definitely the best solution. The drum brake is a drag brake for long downhills and saves you frying the rims.

The biggest problem I find is with a lack of ground clearance when going over humps - it's easy to ground the timing chain or one of the pedals.

Let me know if you are selling the Top Touring tyres, I might be interested...

Thanks for your reply Hamster.

I think I'll get that HS33 sorted asap then and take it easy with the ground clearance issue!

I'll sort out some pics of the tyres and pm you over the weekend.

Looks great :cool:

The Tioga's certainly give it a more mean look, HS33's are certainly a worthy upgrade, I have little choice on my rear as its a U brake, saying that it does work suprisingly well :shock:

Mabe a Retro Tandem meet should arranged at some point :LOL:

Back