cyclist who knocked over and killed

FluffyChicken":10bq8qdw said:
stew-b":10bq8qdw said:
you would have though every inch of london was covered by cctv by now,surprised there is none mentioned.

There is,
...Jurors at the Old Bailey were shown CCTV footage of the collision on 12 February...

Not seen it widely reported but the police admitted in cross examination that they'd studied lots of CCTV footage of the cyclist (not from just before in accident) and not found any incidents of him riding dangerously or erratically. It was a tragic accident and even at the speed he was travelling the collision causing a death was extremely unlucky. You'd probably get away with a car hitting you at that speed.
That said I find it highly unlikely that he didn't know the law about having to have a front brake and he should have been prosecuted and found guilty for that reason. He knowingly put others at risk.
As for the sentence he'll get I'm sure its going to be at the hefty end of what is allowed due to the media coverage. Interesting that in an adjacent court at the same a woman was found guilty after killing a pedestrian whilst doing 45mph in a 30 zone having taken her eyes off the road to look at her speedo. Suspended sentence in part because she'd shown remorse....

That kicks off a whole different argument as regards the leniency shown to drivers involved in fatal accidents... Particularly involving cyclists or in that case, a pedestrian.

The multiple threads discussing the Allison case over on road.cc are filled with exactly that perception of bias.

My prediction is that he will receive a suspended sentence. The remarks he made after the accident don't help him, but could be explained in a number of ways.

Given how rare these events are, I don't think it is in the public interest to make some token example in sentencing.

Re:

Remarks or not, he stayed at the scene, something many vehicle drivers don't do these days, they flee in an effort not to be caught.

Re:

I predict some very adverse comparisons with sentences given to car drivers for the same offence.

Re:

The sentence in good part resulted from his lack of contrition. From reading the judge's remarks, it would appear there was a pattern of behaviour, whether established by witness or other evidence.

The facts seem to be that his modus operandi was to behave as he did.

The judge clearly feels there was a causal relationship between his 'attitude' and the event of the collision.

An appeal will be made to reduce the sentence, and will likely succeed, but meanwhile the courts and the country have made a bold statement.

Get your bike in shape, and if you are involved in an accident, by your doing or otherwise, don't scream at the injured party and generally act like a dick.

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":16rr62ob said:
and if you are involved in an accident, by your doing or otherwise, don't scream at the injured party and generally act like a dick.

Unless of course you are driving a car, drunk, without a license and uninsured, in which case it is expected.

Back