Cycle hate - US style

Actually you can do that with a straight handlebar. They can't stop you for that. It could just be a replacement part that you chose to mount securely for transportation.
A good steel handlebar with one grip will do LOTS of damage if you can wield it properly.

Raging_Bulls":6r4xyn00 said:
Actually you can do that with a straight handlebar. They can't stop you for that.
Not even after you've turned your attacker's head to mush? :LOL: What a wonderful country! I'm packin' my bags. ;)

cyfa2809":2hq5vcx6 said:
IN the UK you have to pass by a cars width.
That's not strictly true.

The Highway Code advises "when passing motorcyclists and cyclists, give them plenty of room," and "give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car."

That doesn't have the force of law (it's just advice), and it's not clear whether that means you should leave a full car's width gap (I don't think most people would interpret it that way), treat the cyclist as if he were as wide as a car (the picture in the HC suggests that interpretation), or leave the same gap as you would when passing a car (which might be anywhere between a few inches and a few feet).

The issue could certainly do with clarification: there isn't one unambiguous interpretation of the advice as it stands.

Raging_Bulls":2hcmjlf2 said:
Not too sure about normal people, but I can easily get away with a "temporary madness" plea. :LOL:
Well NOW you're sprechin' my lingiddy :LOL:

Attachments

• abby_normal.jpg
    abby_normal.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 254
incorrigible":1juk7648 said:
Raging_Bulls":1juk7648 said:
Not too sure about normal people, but I can easily get away with a "temporary madness" plea. :LOL:
Well NOW you're sprechin' my lingiddy :LOL:

All you have to do is call yourself "Abby.. erm someone".

I've had less incidents since the TDF & olympics but it's still bad.

Earlier this month one of my friends in the club had a car turn right directly in front of him (UK driving on the left) whilst he was doing nigh on 30mph, he went over the bonnet, did a somersault and ended on his feet, perfectly ok. The same cannot be said for his carbon orbea and it's electronic gears that although look fine no longer work :( .

As a motorist and a cyclist it has to be said that most car drivers are expecting cyclists to be going ~10mph. I've had the issue myself whilst driving that suddenly Mr road racer has crested a hill or got a move on and is now doing 25mph and my overtake has taken much longer than originally anticipated, I'm sure this catches drivers out a lot. I tend to at least stop pedalling when cars are going past and I give motorists signals, don't pass - palm held backwards move out into the road, pass - forward waving move in, large thank you's for considerate passes. Beating on peoples precious cars that are too close seems to be highly effective at getting them to move.

In the same way as a car driver I understand crossing a solid white line with just one wheel is officially an offence and you can be prosecuted for it. Now of course I use common sense & cross solid lines to pass cyclists, but this is mainly due to the fact that some civil servant moron has decided that virtually every road in Somerset should be double white lined.

Intrerestingly I never have any trouble on my MTB's on the road with 2ft wide handlebars, but on the road bike I feel like a 10,000 point target, anyone else find that?

I now have these on my bikes and helmets (12 in total I think) permanently, they are as good if not better than blackburn clicks (linked below) which I have three of. I tend to have my helmet lights going all the time, obviously in low light situations but also when the sun is low.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221044472396? ... 1497.l2649

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=55549

Ps) for anyone that has a rear blackburn click, there is a free warranty upgrade for the rear ones that now come with a seal as they don't like the wet.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=blackb ... 9,s:0,i:99

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
gtRTSdh":3raak5vr said:
but on the road bike I feel like a 10,000 point target, anyone else find that?

Not so much on a bike, but definitely on my horse.

I get a lot of cars following me, that don't seem able to overtake, even when it is safe to. I can't work out if they are just enjoying watching me work myself to death on a bike, or are just bl**dy awful drivers.

As for people blowing their horns, my son had an interesting incident yesterday. After riding about 80k with a dozen other riders, without incident, my son and the ride organiser were making their way back towards home when an old guy in a big Jag did the same thing as the guy in the video, although he did pass in the end, giving my son and his friend a lot of verbal.

I have to say, I do wonder what would happen if, when this sort of thing takes place, my son and I were to stop and then approach the driver, after all, we are both over 6 foot tall, he's 25 and as fit as you like, I'm...erm, older, less fit but a little more controlled in my approach to people. My thought is, that a driver in this situation would sh*t themselves, as I really think they don't see cyclists as people, merely slow objects that are in their way.

Back