Cycle hate - US style

Re: ...

NeilM":2fpltifc said:
I've got nothing to say about this, I'm just amazed.

Carbon soles don't bend. Sheet metal does. There's a cream coloured Lexux SUV somewhere here in Burlington with a huge dent in the rear quarter panel.

ratbane":2fpltifc said:
particularly from farmers in pickups.

Nuf said.

twain":2346pjz3 said:
old people are dangerous enough behind the wheel without becoming aggressive!
agreed, the cyclists showed a degree of restraint that others (including myself) would probably not have been able to - which is probably why the situation didn't escalate :p

i hate aggressive behaviour as well - and can probably be safe assuming that without that car, the driver probably wouldn't have had the balls to behave in the same way.

to some people (and its seems a growing trend these days) the car is used as a weapon as well as a means of transport. and just like any other weapon, in the wrong hands, it will often almost always end in tragedy.

but nothing will be done until something worse happens, or, these sorts of incidents will just keep happening over and over again...... :roll:

i long for the day i can live outside the existence of these types of people.

I completely agree with every word.

As for cars as weapons, it has definitely got worse over the last few years. I drive 35,000 business miles a year, and have done for a looooong time, the low level of skill and high level of aggression shown by many drivers these days is staggering, and I'm just amazed that more people are not killed.

As to what will be done.... not a thing, as there is simply too much tax revenue to be gathered from drivers to risk upsetting them.

well i think after a minute of this idiot, a nice scrape down the side of their car would be a subtle reminder to move on.
i suppose the driver had just lost his way to his therapists house.

Had to call the police today due to a tw@t in a CR-V. Firstly he pulled alongside my hip, less than 6" away, on horn. I slapped his bonnet twice advising him politely that if I could do that he was too close. He proceeded to undertake me, calling me a see you next tuesday. All this approaching a roundabout, where outside lane goes straight on, inside left only, I was going straight on, as was he. He then cut me up twice on the roundabout, by slowing down and chopping my line. Was shaking like a leaf after that, and had to try and stop him from doing it to someone with less road experience

Since Smegley Higgins and the rest of the british cycling team did so well at the Olympics I find I have been given more respect by car drivers - it seems they expect to see more cyclists on the road and so plan and act in advance. When a car driver gives enough space a cheery wave and a thumbs up seems to make the next car driver to pass act accordingly.
The above throws into greater contrast the occasional c**t who still passes to close - this usually happens on solid centre lane markings so;

1. Better driver training - hopefully as more cyclists venture forth more will be encountered by learner drivers.

2. Model the change you want to see in others - saying thanks when someone gives you enough space to make the following driver aware that you appreciate safe driving. Also making sure you pass cyclists at a safe distance.

3. Talk to non cyclists and drivers are they aware of the minimum passing distance? and being allowed to overtake on solid lines if it is safe to do so.

Apologies if this reads as if I'm living in lala land or I'm a liberal democrat t**t but instead of criticising the same old 10% of c**ts time and time again whose selfishness ruins all aspects of life lets try to postively change the behaviour of the 90% who are reasonable and decent. This I appeciate is difficult when you've been cut up by a c**t.

But change I think needs to continue to happen and perhaps if we're constantly criticizing and writing on forums that most car drivers don't see then another small opportunity goes by to change things for the better.

All that said the driver in the video was a true 10%er and deserved everything he got :)

The article says that the driver was cited for two counts of harassment, impeding the flow of traffic, and improper use of a horn. You'd think there was enough evidence to prove that he doesn't deserve to have a driver's license. In the U.S. (and I suspect everywhere else on the planet) driving a car is a privilege, not a right, so he should have that privilege revoked.

On the other hand, maybe the driver was Lindsey Lohan or Paris Hilton, in which case she should spend 2 minutes in jail and then be set free with all driving privileges intact, as long as the cops get to have their picture taken with her. :roll:

As long as this unsafe behavior is not corrected, it will continue. Whatever happened to the good old days when you could just mace someone and be done with it?

Attachments

• mace.jpg
    mace.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 374
NeilM":13e5ikc2 said:
incorrigible":13e5ikc2 said:
Whatever happened to the good old days when you could just mace someone and be done with it?

Still can: http://personalsavers.com/cycle.html
I'm waiting for the technology to advance to the point where you point the aerosol mace toward your attacker and press the button, and an armored knight suddenly appears swinging skull-staving implements. :LOL:

I'll bet I could carry one of these (below) in a pump mount attached to my down tube for easy access. Of course I'd have to wear a mask so I'm not recognizable in the event someone video tapes me while I’m meting out justice.

Attachments

• implement.jpg
    implement.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 313
Back