Custom MTB

You could get a shorter stem with a bit of rise then some riser handle bars and you should be good to go! Rear hub can be easily changed by a wheel builder.

JT1, Do you still have the original rear wheel with the cracked hub? I ask because looking at the front you have the highly sought after Mavic SUP Ceramic rim. Having both rims available as a pair is a good thing ;)

I’m not sure where I went wrong with the rear wheel. I think I may have been talked in to a new rear wheel with my cassette as the cheapest option.

This has been an education!

I was thinking this is so out of date it’s not going to be worth much at all, and even though I might still only get around the original price of the frame only for the whole thing - it’s still far more than I would have expected!

I’ve looked at hybrids on line and in just one shop so far, Halfords - and if I put the same again to a new bike - let’s say a £1400 job, I don’t think it could be any better than this and it certainly wouldn’t have an XTR groupset.

So now I’m thinking I have a stem for sale! I will change it, it needs doing anyway, then I’ll see.

I obviously got my dates wrong in my first post but I do know it didn’t get built until after 2000 - so that would be the date of first registration so to speak - and then it spent 20 years gathering dust in the garage.

What a great forum this is - thanks for all your help.

Retrobike is also a great resource for finding rare old parts so you might be able to find a matching rear rim and hub here if the original is lost in the wild.

It really is a fantastic bike, your very lucky :)

Well, I bought a 60mm stem with a 35 degree rise and it’s made a huge difference.

It’s a keeper!

I’ll put the old stem up - there’s some finish missing, so maybe £30???

Attachments

• IMG_9538.jpeg
    IMG_9538.jpeg
    555.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9537.jpeg
    IMG_9537.jpeg
    584.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9536.jpeg
    IMG_9536.jpeg
    467.4 KB · Views: 6
Back