Custom MTB

JT1

Retro Newbie
Hi!

This bike was bought piece by piece by our son between 1996-7.

The frame alone was £850. Everything was in boxes and all that was missing was front forks.

He passed his drubbing test and abandoned the project, partly also to then getting a job in London and wanting to commute by cycle and this was far too good. So he used A very nice training road bike of mine …… and got that stolen instead. Gave me this, I added the forks.

It’s had little use but I managed to crack the rear hub recently and the price for the modern equivalent was bonkers- it has a new rear wheel to suit my leisurely levels these days.

It weighs under 11 kg and is a bit too racy for me.
If I can get a couple of hundred for it towards a new hybrid I’d be more than happy but would like to see if it’s possibly worth more - or even sadly, less!

Attachments

• IMG_9269.jpeg
    IMG_9269.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_9498.jpeg
    IMG_9498.jpeg
    474 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_9494.jpeg
    IMG_9494.jpeg
    356.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_9497.jpeg
    IMG_9497.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_9495.jpeg
    IMG_9495.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 121
There should be an edit facility - I think it's in different places depending on normal or mobile version of the site - but the meaning is clear anyway.

It's definitely worth more than a couple of hundred pounds. As always, you would get more if you decide to split it and sell the components separately. I'll leave it to someone more knowledgable to give an accurate value/accurate values.

Some very nice parts there and in excellent condition. Definitely split and seek advice on values, your frame alone is worth more than £200

Very nice bike you have there.

If the frame is indeed a Hot, then it could fetch more than double the £200 you are after. @al-onestare would be able to help you identify it for certain, and I am sure he will be along in a bit to help.

The parts are not too bad either and also highly sought after, you could easily get over the £200 mark for the crankset, brakes/levers, and gears by the look of their condition. The other parts all add up also.

You could sell it whole but may take longer and not reach such a high price.

I think it will be what it says knowing my son!

Well now I’m wondering if I should just calm it down a bit instead of selling it! Shorter stem, soggier saddle etc.
I’ve been out of it since it was fully built really and looking at the new machines is confusing me - e.g only ten gears with just one lever and a bell! 29” wheels too, Nice looking things though!

Hi!

This bike was bought piece by piece by our son between 1996-7.

The frame alone was £850. Everything was in boxes and all that was missing was front forks.

He passed his drubbing test and abandoned the project, partly also to then getting a job in London and wanting to commute by cycle and this was far too good. So he used A very nice training road bike of mine …… and got that stolen instead. Gave me this, I added the forks.

It’s had little use but I managed to crack the rear hub recently and the price for the modern equivalent was bonkers- it has a new rear wheel to suit my leisurely levels these days.

It weighs under 11 kg and is a bit too racy for me.
If I can get a couple of hundred for it towards a new hybrid I’d be more than happy but would like to see if it’s possibly worth more - or even sadly, less!
This is indeed a Kona Hot. Much sought after and looking like it's in great condition. If you could take a look at the bottom of the BB shell and let us know or share a picture of the serial number, we'll be able to confirm its age and which factory made it. That will secure it's status and help with the valuation. It should start KH or H8.

It looks like a 98 but could be an early 99. Let's see...love the colour!

Back