Culling the fleet!

Definitely got stuff I don’t use and could sell…….but then I get it out and I see something about it I like and back it goes in the garage! I’ve taken the approach of selling/giving away stuff I won’t need for a build and some of the stuff that would goad me in to a build - you know that one part of a groupset or a set of bars that sparks the idea in your mind. In the back of my mind at some point we want the garage space for an extension which is applying very mild pressure, I’m holding out for a similar sized space at the end of the garden…..,

Try factoring in road bikes as well and it becomes a lot more difficult. My MTBs I just love owning as it’s stuff I could never have as a kid. If I’m honest none of that gets ridden further than the MOT garage or the pub. My road bikes are the ones I actually ride road/winter/touring/fixed/time trial/lugged/fillet brazed/one I painted myself, yup I’ve made a reason for keeping all of them! Road bikes as well there’s not a huge difference between retro and modern at least not the ones I’ve got - my modern has disc brakes but I don’t use brakes much so don’t notice.

I've got my AMP, spent loads on it, rode it once. It leaves me cold! It's a great bike (not perfect) I just don't get on with it.
I'll have to part it to limit the spend damage, but I just can't face the minefield of trying to sell parts at the right price

For me it was easy once I had kids. I thought about the bike I bought as a teenager, the one I would never sell, and that it would be ridiculous if one of my kids would inherit it in perfect condition. They would then think it was not really my beloved bike if I didn't ride it so much. So I sold all my other retro bikes (which anyway perform a similar role) so I can concentrate on using the only bike I would never get rid of.

To satisfy the urge to build and tinker I have my ever growing kids, so now one is on a 20" bike and the other will get the 16". Time to start looking for 24" bikes for next season!

i went from one mountain bike to two in the early days, when one hard ride would inevitably break something on one bike and I needed another for the next day. It kind of grew from there. I now have a strict 'one in, one out' rule. Which I never follow.

We don't have cars so bikes are our means of transport. That's why both me and my wife have 2 bikes each. It helps if one is not operational and you need to go to work, and also if we have guests as they will have to cycle with us.

The fact wife and me use the same bike size helps with extra redundancy. Kids have one bike each that they outgrow every two years...

Back