Culling the fleet!

Been there definitely 😁
The good old 'I missed the last one, haven't seen one for a year, it's a bit overpriced but f**k it!' only for another one to appear a week later in better condition for half the price! 😂 Bastards! 🤣🤣

Been there definitely 😁
The good old 'I missed the last one, haven't seen one for a year, it's a bit overpriced but f**k it!' only for another one to appear a week later in better condition for half the price! 😂 Bastards! 🤣🤣

Yeah that's pretty much it! I've had that a lot but it's the bars on my Chute for me. Couldn't find them for the life of me apart from a set state side for £100... saw a set recently over here for less than £20 🥲🥲

My favourite type of RB threads... when we come together to rationalise our addiction, offer solidarity and understanding, asking the person to list all their bikes in case you might be able to home them, because come to to think of it, you have still got a bit of room in the washroom and in the kitchen... does the wee one really need a whole room for themselves?

Just one more, lads...it'll be the last one.. I swear.

I too am culing what has become a bit of a burden of a collection, I never complete them and then if I do I don't use them so I'd like to pull it down to a more managable number. I think the advice of sell the ones you can 'easily' replace is pretty good, I am holding on to the bikes that either mean something (Salsas I have had for a long time, and known all the owners of through their lives!), or are just not possible really to replace (ie Zinn disc). It feels pretty good to go through and move things on, even there is a weird reluctance to let go of things jus in case they come in useful.

I sold a frame and some wheels this week in fact, so I'm getting there*

*OK, fine, I also bought a whole bike, but that was really for my son (in ten years) and it was such a good deal, and I won't keep it all, and its very rare, and....

There is a weird reluctance to let things go just in case they come in useful.
This is definitely a problem for me, selling bikes whole would be preferable, but if you built from a frame you'll generally not get back what you've put in unless you strip it. Losing a bit is OK, but if you've put say £800 into a bike and can only get £350 back, rightly or wrongly that doesn't sit well with me. Then once stripped, for me at least, it turns into 'well I'll keep the wheels/groupset etc, just in case, so I don't have to buy it again later'.

Just sell one or 2 and see how you go.

Maybe sell your least favourite Kona and your least favourite steel Bonty?

People want to put their own spin on things, so your 'perfect bike' won't be for them, also given the choice between freshly restored for £800 or found in the back of a shed but pretty much the same for £250, what would you go for? I know which I'd be buying.

Back