Copywrite law

Sorry but you are wrong. I run a shop. We don't have any music but if we did we would need a licence. It is a private building and we can ask customers to leave but that is not the point.

SF Klein":3kfqqmff said:
Exactly - and by definition, a bar/restaurant/workplace/etc. is a PRIVATE establishment. Private means you could cite someone from trespassing in your establishment and ask them to leave. Public means an area that is open to the general public - shops let the public in but if the shopkeeper wanted to ask someone to leave, they could because it's not a public place.

i can assure you that any shop, restaurant , office etc.... has to pay a fee .

it is not much , but it exists .

all infos are here

It really is true, as daft as it sounds, it really really is true. They are currently calling companies up and asking if they have a radio etc, they are doing spot visits too. They usually give you a chance to buy a licence, but if you refuse then thats when a court order is issued and a big fine :roll:

The logic is that the music is helping your business, either by entertaining your customers or increasing work output by entertaining your employees and as such the artists should share in that profit, thats the logic anyway.

Just noticed your location, maybe you have different rules in the states, but be assured this is true for the UK.

PPL represents record companies and performers

PRS for Music represents composers, songwriters and music publishers.

Well thats me on a downer for the day :(

What a crooked system

Whistle while you work , whistle while you work . Unless the heavies are sent around to squeeze the dough from the poor dwarfs necks with shovel hands while shouting GIME MY MONAY , GIMME MAA MONAYY !

:(

right, a bit embarassed now!

she's been into the shop in question and it turns out one of the staff members is a friend of a friend of a friend of hers and they were playing a compilation cd she had made which just so happens to have rachels song on it. it turns out its fairly raw as it a studio first take jobby without any editting so you can still hear her intakes of breath and everything, hence her friend thinking it was someone else singing it.

know knowing the full story she is flattered she has a fan! if anyone is interested you can hear her here...

http://www.myspace.com/racheletty

I thought a workplace was exempt if theres only a few people there. So Joe in his workshop with an apprentice can play the radio or a Cd without a licence, but a shopfloor assembly line would need a licence. I seem to remember seeing a licence application form clearly stating this (many moons ago tho')

Back