Shimano 600 Arabesque index?

Darren66

Dirt Disciple
Is it possible to use a 600 Arabesque derailleur indexed?
I have a 6 speed hyperglide freewheel and the derailleur works perfectly in friction mode, if I was to use 6 speed 600 EX friction shifters, would it work with that derailleur, I know SIS wasn't introduced until the next version but I was always of the mind that the shifters dictated the shifting (within given parameters).

You can index anything to anything as long as the cable pull matches cassette spacing for each shift

It should be ok
Thanks for that.
I figured that Shimano 6 speed index shifters on a hyperglide block, through a Shimano derailleur ticks all the boxes, I have the shifters so nothing to lose giving it a try.

Mixing brands is where it fails, over shifting as cable pull is different and so on

The old shimano Touney SIS mech was pretty much identical in operation to your 600 mech, both being the non slant parallelogram style. I think you can still buy bicycles with that sort of shifting, some 30+ years on!

The only thing which might make it difficult to set up is the lack of a barrel adjuster on the rear mech to fine tune everything. (I can't remember if the older 600 rear mechs had one)

Mixing brands is where it fails, over shifting as cable pull is different and so on

The old shimano Touney SIS mech was pretty much identical in operation to your 600 mech, both being the non slant parallelogram style. I think you can still buy bicycles with that sort of shifting, some 30+ years on!

I thought the 600 was a Servo Pantograph, a Slant Pantograph in all but name ?

Hi,
My derailleur does have the barrel adjuster, though I have seen some without.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220902-143404_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220902-143404_eBay.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 7
No guarantee it will work, but if you have the kit try it. And hubbub ,(google it,) and reverse hubbub might make it work.

Quick update, no it doesn't work :(
Just aquired the more recent 600 sis derailleur, no reason that wouldn't work as it's the same groupset as the shifters.

Latest posts

Back