comparing fitness and road riding, now my training log!!

hey L

don't get too upset, if you look my road rides on my own are around 18mph but my offroad ride was 12.6mph

if you're doing 13 off road around afan thats bloody good!

i used to ride up to 250miles a week years ago but since i got in the trade the mileage went down to bugger all, 12 years of the bike trade and i left, now i'm finally finding some kind of consistency but i'm still having to make myself do it, the long(ish) rides on the road bike are the hard ones to make myself do, road =boring until you are proper fit and blow other people out!! :twisted:

keep plugging away

that's what i tell myself and the targets help aswel. i'm still planning to do the round the isle of wight road ride on may 3rd, 100km hilly, then there will mountain mayhem, then if i can i'll go to the old mountain bike world champs in holland (mainly for fun though :D ) in september, that should be cool.

you'll get there, sounds like you're on the way.

:D

I have to own up ... the 13mph around Afan was an average around the Rheillfordd route ... it's only slightly sloping and even track ... so I'm not sure if that counts as off-roading! Lol!! I was doing about 6 or 7mph on the way up, and about 18mph on the way down!!

I'm always the one that gets blasted out of the water, and then gets lost because everyone is too far ahead!! :roll:

Keep up the good work training, and I'll try to! ;)

Usual Monday evening road ride with super fit roadie from work ... I haven't been riding or to the gym for the last ten days due to bad back and sore knee. I was super strong, 26 miles in 1hr 24mins and even kept up on the last long steady climb to the finish. As they say 'rest is more important than exercise'

so, saturday i had the proflex test for a ride that day, reckon it was about 20miles in total, here's the link for that ride :D

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

so today it was back to the road bike, got all dressed up and went into the garage to find the condor with a flat front tyre :x selected the D2 instead, it's not that i didn't want to ride the D2 it's just i'm trying to stick with the condor so as few things as possible change during the training.

off i go, down towards the beach, then inchmerry, exbury, beaulieu, then lyndhurst, ashurst, totton, marchwood then home. the route is a little up and down in places but nothing painful, but there was wind it seemed in every direction! :x but then as i turned on the road from lyndhurst to ashurst i realised the wind was finally behind me, so i decided to wind it up, i sat at about 24.5mph to 29mph for nearly 2miles along that road, bliss! :D then i turned back towards marchwood (9miles from home) and managed to keep the speed at around 20mph except for applemore hill which is quite long and relatively steep.

trip distance 30.2 miles
time 1hr 38mins
18.35 ave

very pleased with that bearing in mind how slow i was going to start with into the wind! :D

last ride was the ride in to work the other day for the nightshift, there would have been another road ride but i got collered for some overtime at work so that went to shit!!

here's the link for the ride to work

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

so today it was ride time! i'd had call from my former boss at GA cycles saying did i want to ride today, he'd done his interval training yesterday and wanted a long steady ride, we agreed he'd pass my house and i'd join him, he left the shop 16 miles away and rode to mine and off we went.

the route:-

langley, lepe beach, inchmerry, exbury, beaulieu, bucklers hard, st leonards, sowly pond, lymington, boldre, sway, burley, avon tyrrel, bransgore, ringwood, red shoot, lyndhurst, beaulieu road station, applemore, home.

that was not the route i was thinking of!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

i thought i would do about 35miles with gary then peel off but i was too far away from home to peel off!!!! so then 45 miles in we are at ringwood and who do we bump into? only bloody gary's interval training mates!! on their bloody cervelo P3's etc!

julian jenkinson, ex pro triathelete, winner of last years 4man ride across america, riding a P3
steve whitewick winner of last years 4man R A A M with julian, riding a P3
julia- can't remember her surname, but she's womens national tt champ riding pinarello TT carbon bike
nick- can't remember his surname but again good triathelete, riding tcr carbon
and gary i was riding with, 3rd in this years national cyclocross champs, winner of the wessex cross league and a bloody good tt and road rider

i was in scary company!!! :shock:

managed to sit with them for a while but at 45 miles being the longest ride i'd done this year so far and knowing i was 20 miles from home i had to say sorry i'm gonna die, i gotta go, so after not blowing but going slower up the red shoot climb i said see ya later! this was self preservation! if i'd had stayed with them i would have died on the road somewhere!! and unlike simpson i wouldn't have said "put me back on my bike" it would have been more like "you can stick the bike up your arse!!" :LOL:

so after splitting off at stoney cross i headed for lyndhurst, the most direct route home, i stopped to get a mars bar and some water, this did the trick, i felt tired but not dead and i'm glad i had it. i noticed that after splitting from the others i had slowed down but hadn't completely blown, i just sat into a spinning pace that i could cope with.

so here's the stats

distance- 66.1 miles
time - 3hours 57 minutes
average- 16.6 mph

i'm not upset that the average has dropped, after all this is double the distance i have been doing. also it means that when i do the IOW road 100km ride on may 3rd i shouldn't die on the road somewhere.

here's some pics of the peeps i was riding with, julian on the raam last year and gary on the cross bike.

gary's available for a ride next wednesday aswel . . . . . . great.

:LOL:

best go, i REALLY need a shower, then i'm out on the suzuki, if my legs have the strength to kick it over!

Attachments

• julianttresize.jpg
    julianttresize.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 745
  • gary.jpg
    gary.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 745
another ride and the next day after that leg bashing!!! :D :D

didn't think i'd beable to cope with another ride after yesterday but adam phoned me. he's having the weekend away to pick up his girlfriend from uni so wanted to go out after he finished work today. so i chuck the explosif and the st4 on the car and go pick him up at 6.30pm. we headed for brockenhurst to get in an offroad route to burley and back.

the trails were dry as a bone and riding fast and nice.

here's the stats!

distance - 20.5miles
time - 1hr 38mins
average - 12.4 mph

and strangely enough my legs don't ache that much, the best way i can describe it is i felt strong but tired on the bike. we came to a gravel tracked quite steep climb, i just powered up it in mid ring (36t), 3rd (21t) sat down, i was quite supprised i did it as i usually go atleast a gear easier and have to stand up on the pedals on this climb.

oh and we had a pint at the foresters after the ride!! :D :D

so who wants to slap for getting alot of miles in while you were al at work this week?!! :twisted: :LOL:

and to upset you even more i'm hoping to ride the IOW tomorrow to find another route for the retro ride in a few weeks. :D

so i did the IOW recon mission, it was hard coz of the last few days miles in my legs. started to die towards the end! but had enough in reserve not to blow up, just slowed down a bit. i have now done 115 miles in 3 days!! :shock:

won't go into too much detail, as i've done a quick description on the IOW ride thread but basically it was up and down alot and a good ride!! and i found a bnch of cool tracks that i hadn't ridden before to take you guys on :D

distance 27.13miles.

back to work tomorrow for 6am, it'll be a nice rest!! :LOL:

next poss ride time is monday pm.

god i have been lazy this last week!! after the last ride on the 3rd i had a couple of overtime shifts before i started some shift-time off work, and with a combination of feeling tired coz of nightshifts and hayfever giving me a kicking i didn't get out on the bike till the thetford ride which was awsome!! :D

thetford was about 20 ish miles of constant pedaling on singletrack, great for the legs!

so today i went out agin on the modern clockwork, felt i deserved a modern off road mission and all my rides recently have been on retro so you can't blame me for a relapse!! :D

distance 19.87miles
1hr 37mins
12.2 ave

here's a pic of the clockwork out on the trail

Attachments

• the clockwork.jpg
    the clockwork.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 706
so today it was back to the road bike!! :? i sort of view the road bike as the thig i just have to do!! i don't mind it at all when riding with someone but on my own it can get boring.

today it was windy, i was sort of dreading going out because of it, you know that at somepoint you will be going straight head on in to it.

for 20 miles the wind was either behind me or side ish wind, by the time i stopped for 5 mins to arrange a ride tomorrow with adam i had done 20 miles with an average of 19.7mph! :shock: but i knew it was coming, the wind, so i turned in to the wind :( :cry: :x :evil: 10 miles back straight into the bastard wind!! was so hard!! i was keeping an eye on the average, i didn't want to drop below 19mph, but the wind was so strong, witha a mile to go the average had dropped to 18.9mph, i couldn't have that! so i put in a massive effort just to get the 0.1 back! and i did! with about 100metres to spare!! :D

distance 29.95miles
time 1hr 34mins
average 19.0mph

hopefully get an offroad ride after adam has finished work tomorrow then nothing till the henley on thames ride on saturday.

yep i hate the wind more than hills , id happily swap some hills for all the wind if anyone wants to do a deal ?

at least on a hill there is a visible reason to go slow and there is a clear end . with wind you just look crap and weak to passers by . no matter how much more effort you put in it just pushes you back harder :x

Back