comparing fitness and road riding, now my training log!!

hey hamster, i'll see you on the ferry!! :D

what i have been doing is trying to mix easy rides with then trying to beat a time on another ride, so 1 hard ride followed by 1 easy ride etc, basic recovery ride type stuff, then gradually i'll extend the ride or increase the pace as i feel fitter.

today after deciding to enter SSMM with MR K's 10x10 team i thought i'd go out for a spin, my last ride was an easy 33 miles with adam on sunday and i meant to go out yesterday but this is where shift work can bugger things up for me!! so today was just about spinning my legs as i'm working at 6pm tonight till 6am tomorrow, so i decided to spin around lepe beach etc on the ali O, about 1hr, gave it some stick when the wind was behind me on the way back, not an overall amazing pace but i definately broke a sweat so that will do until i get up tomorrow afternoon!

i plan to do the 33miles tomorrow and again on sunday. :D

Attachments

• ali O at the beach.jpg
    ali O at the beach.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 936
  • ali O at the beach2.jpg
    ali O at the beach2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 936
well, best laid plans and all that!!! :LOL:

finished the nightshift at 6 this morning but before i left i had to organize the days off for SSMM, sorted that, got home at 645am,had a quick sniff on here then went to bed.

had to get up at 1030am to get my haircut and nip to the bank, felt so dead after just 3 1/2 hours sleep, so when i got back from the bank the last thing i wanted to do was a 33 mile training ride so i went back to bed for another kip. that was at 1230pm, woke up at 4pm feeling guilty that i hadn't done the planned ride.

by 4.45pm i had decided to go out but take it easy as i still felt quite crappy. but instead of a road ride i went out on the ST4 offroad. the bike does have a computer but it's basic so not a huge amount of info.

milage 12.6 all off road
time about 1hr 15mins

was quite a good ride, ground was soft mostly so was hard going, so it was quite a good work out.

sunday's road ride might change to an offroad ride as a riding buddy from back in the day has turned up for the weekend, so me, adam and phil might well be doing the isle of wight. we'll see what happens, either way i'll be riding! :D

so on sunday we did the IOW ride, quite a good workout, was quite pleased with how i went, phil was surprised coz usually he beats me up hills and he said i was definately going better, i don't think i was that much better i just think that where he hasn't been on a bike much recently it made it more obvious to him.

here's the link for that ride

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

so today feeling guilty that i haven't been out on the road bike i decided to go out because the weather is good and i'm back in work tomorrow. got myself all dressed and jumped on the condor.

i thought i'd try a different route from what i had been doing with adam just to change things abit, and try and go a bit longer aswel.

so, here's the route, my house in langley, to lepe beach, inchmerry, exbury, beaulieu, brockenhurst, rhinefield drive, ornamental drive, turn right back towards lyndhurst, on to ashurst, on towards totton but turn right ar rushington roundabout then straight roads back to langley.

40.4 miles
2hrs 15mins
17.9 average

i'm quite pleased with that as this ride was generally more hilly than the other route and there are parts where the false flats go on for ages keeping the speed down but coming back on the main roads means i could get the average back up.

there were 2 points where i could have turned off early, 1st was when i crossed the a35 on the rhinefield drive. i thought "no, i'll regret it" so didn't, then when i came into lyndhurst i could have cut across the forest to knock off 5 miles but thought "no, make yourself do it!"

i'm glad i didn't cut it short but christ i feel knackered now and my legs are aching. i can't ride till atleast thursday afternoon now before my nightshift so if i do it will only be a spin. i might do a recovery spin on the turbo for 1/2 an hour tomorrow after work but we'll see.

i'm gonna try and keep this all up as long as poss bearing in mind mountain mayhem, coz i know i sometimes get lazy at the thought of going out, especially if the weather is crap. adam has been a great help, knowing that someonelse is riding with you sometimes massively helps.

:D

well, it's been a disaster trying to ride this last week and i feel like i have lost momentum and anything i have built up recently . . . bugger :x

managed to get out last saturday offroad for abit but managed to stack quite roughly causing a bit of leg and arm bruising and aches etc.

then when i feel better the shift starts again :roll: so i have just got back from a ride today on the road bike,

1hr 10mins
21.4miles
18.1 ave

that'll do for the moment, i would have gone longer but i'm back in to work at 6pm but before that i have to take the motorbike in for it's MOT, it needs to be there for 5pm but where it hasn't bedded back in yet it sometimes takes 1/2 an hour to kick start it!! :x so i have to leave enough start up time!!! :roll:

if it doesn't start for ages though you'l know i had a massive leg work out!! :LOL:

well 1st available day for riding was today, decided offroad and here's the link

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

quite happy with this ride, it didn't seem like 27.9 miles, gave it a bit off stick where i felt ok and pushed myself on a few of the hills by deliberately staying in top ring.

27.9 miles
2hrs 15mins
12.4 ave

out tomorrow aswel, probably on the road bike

:D

OH . . . . MY . . . . GOD!

i ache so bad right now, but no pain etc.

have been out on the road bike, the original 33mile route, as i first jumped on the bike i felt strong but a little stiff from yesterday, the ride was going well and the average was easily above the 18.7 from the other week, couldn't believe it :shock: bearing in mind yesterdays ride, then it happened . . . . . .

there was an explosion . . . like hiroshima . . . i blew! :shock:

big time, was about 25miles in, felt like i was going backwards and the last section was into the wind, i just wanted to get off and give up. i made myself do it though, tried to keep the pace up even though i felt so knackered. my own fault really i went out too hard to start with after yesterday but as i can ride tomorrow aswel i thought i'd go hard yesterday and today then easy tomorrow.

anyway here's the stats

33miles
1hr46mins
18.2 ave

i think that is ok considering the explosion :LOL:

Oh that's so unfair!! I was feeling really good about doing 10 miles around Afan last weekend ... and now you're all talking about over 30mile rides!! :shock:

I was really proud to get over 13mph ... now I feel feeble cos you're all over 15mph!! :cry:

I SO can't wait to get my new turbotrainer wheel tomorrow ... that way I'll be able to train even when it's cold, dark and horribly scarily lonely on the road in Port Talbot!! Lol!! :D

I WILL catch up with you lot one day ... it might take me a while ... but I'll get there!!! :!:

Best Wishes,
L xx

Back