Columbus MS tubing

Hi all,

thank you for your replies.

I got the frame from e-bay, from Italy. A friend of mine recommended me the frame & tubing, so I knew from the start it is something ultra-rare. Just like I wanted for my first real 'vintage' build. I live in Berlin, Germany, and the 'vintage' road race bikes are highly collected, so I wanted something unique. The frame has lots of beautiful details, I find myself often looking at it for minutes and still discover new things (after more than a year since owning it). I think the guy who sold it had it for some time in the shed, for sure it got used quite a bit, based on the paint chips. There are no dents or big rust spots. The MAZA name is derived from the first two letters of the surnames of frame builders Antonio Mattioli and Soldino Zanasi, who used to work for Luciano Paletti before becoming partners in their own company in the late 1980s. Their names are featured in a decal on the top tube. It is full of pantography details, like on the fork crown and all the Lugs. You can see from all these finishing touches it was a high-end model (or at least I hope so).

From my research of the builders, I only found the Cicli Berlinetta frame which doesn't have the pump pimple on the inside of the headtube (mine has). I think they were more popular in the US. I also found at some point a frame on a random US forum looking identical with mine. The bike rides like a dream, is super responsive, fairly light (the current build comes at 10,3kg, respectable for the era, considering the heavier DA shifters and some heavier LOOK pedals).

Unfortunatelly, the paint chips off really easily, and the decals are almost gone. Do you have a recommendation on what should I do, like, completely repaint it or just fix the paint chips? I know that for some original paint is super important. For me it's important that the bike looks as good as possible :) Do you have a recommendation (maybe based in Germany) for a guy who could make it like new?

As for the current build, I got the complete Dura Ace 7400 8SIS groupset with DA Stem, Deda Speciale handlebars, Campagnolo Omega rims laced with DA hubs and DT Swiss Aero blades. I am currently updating the Stem/Handlebar combo as I am not happy with the stiffness of the DA Stem. BTW, I am on the look-out for a 25mm DA 7400 'aero' seatpost. They are really hard to find or really really expensive.

I don't know if this is the place to talk in detail about the build, so I keep it short. I also have some questions regarding the build.

Thanks,
Stefan

Re:

Hi Stefan,

Your post prompted me to sign up, as I have the exact same MAZA Elite frame (built of MS) as yours. I've never seen another, or heard of MAZA before I bought it, but my online research led me to the same story that you told.

I'm happy to see that your paint job is intact - mine was not so lucky, in that the paint was mostly fine, but rust had set in beneath the chrome and threatened to compromise the frame. In an effort to salvage it, I sent it off to be rechromed by a reliable electroplater here in Sydney. I have asked that the bb shell, head lugs and seat stay cluster all be finished in a high polish, as I plan to leave them chromed when I repaint it with sky blue to purple chameleon paint. I will post photos once the results are back.

Can't wait to build it up (likely with Suntour Superbe Pro) and try out the Columbus MS tubeset.

Hi pro_velo_mori,

good luck with the paint and the build. I am also considering a full re-paint as there are lots of spot where the paint has come off. Keep me updated!

Re:

At the risk of sounding hypocritical, I'd really suggest keeping your paint job original. I think it's looks amazing, and it'd be a shame to lose the original livery. I've only redone mine because the chrome was compromised and flaking off.

I've attached a photo of mine before going in for treatment, will keep you updated with an after shot too.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 340
Dear Forum,

please excuse me for gravedigging this old post. Sadly I´ve missed a super pretty Basso Ascot in Columbus MS on eBay this summer:

s-l1600.jpg

It still was in perfect shape, no faded paint, some chips but this just adds to a little lovely patina. Since I´ve missed it, I´ve been searching and waiting for another one to show up in my size - which of course didn´t happen. So on this way I´d like to try my luck and find a owner who´d be willing to sell this very Basso MS frameset - or another italian made one to me.

Please PM if you´d know anyone or could point out where I might have luck.

Thanks for your time, regards

Dear Forum,

please excuse me for gravedigging this old post. Sadly I´ve missed a super pretty Basso Ascot in Columbus MS on eBay this summer:

s-l1600.jpg

It still was in perfect shape, no faded paint, some chips but this just adds to a little lovely patina. Since I´ve missed it, I´ve been searching and waiting for another one to show up in my size - which of course didn´t happen. So on this way I´d like to try my luck and find a owner who´d be willing to sell this very Basso MS frameset - or another italian made one to me.

Please PM if you´d know anyone or could point out where I might have luck.

Thanks for your time, regards
I bought an identical frame in same colours last Oct. Mine is 1993 and had a minor dent and faded paint so have stripped back to bare metal, dealt with dent. Have colour matched the paint and about to respray and rebuild with shimano 6700 groupset and Campagnolo Omega wheelset. It is 53cm so a bit small for me, so might post on here to sell in a few months time.

I bought an identical frame in same colours last Oct. Mine is 1993 and had a minor dent and faded paint so have stripped back to bare metal, dealt with dent. Have colour matched the paint and about to respray and rebuild with shimano 6700 groupset and Campagnolo Omega wheelset. It is 53cm so a bit small for me, so might post on here to sell in a few months time.
Sounds like a good project - pity that it was dented and faded though. Let´s see the finished bike!

Back