Columbus MS tubing

Yup..it was only officially available for 2 years.
Up there with Minimax on the rarity scale (but that's another story).

All the best,

Re: Multi shape frame

Hi. I have a frame built of Multi shape, which I had built in '93. It was built by Vernon Barker of M and B cycles, just up the road from you in Dronfield and I picked it whilst working there as I had never seen anything like it before.
I remember him saying he'd only bought three of these tube sets and had only built one before mine and that had been in the 80'S. I wonder if the third set of tubes ever made it into a frame or got skipped? The frame rode really stiff and always attracted a lot of interest when I used to ride for Rutland C.C of Sheffield as a Junior.
I sold this bike when I packed in cycling a couple of years later and then couldn't believe my luck about 10 years later when I was offered it back. It''s been hung up in my garage until about 6 months ago and is completely original apart from its rear mech. It even has its 1993 bar tape and cables still! I'm now gathering parts for its recomissioning I.e - a couple of hubs, a headset, a replacement saddle, the correct rear mech and period correct tyres and it will be out for the summer hopefully. When i bought it new, the frame cost me 400 quid plus a little extra for a wishbone rear stay and Klein Gator linear fade paint job which still looks pretty fresh to this day. I also chose Power forks and a radially spoked front wheel which makes my modern Carrera look pretty boring by comparison. Nice to hear of another fan of Columbus MS not too far away. ...Luke. :D

Hi 399road; sounds like you were destined to do what your doing with the reinstatement of your old bike. Spot of luck to get it back! Linear fade paint job sounds excellent. Perhaps some photos?

I'm trying to date mine; my frame came in a number of guises; i.e. tubing. However, MS doesn't appear as an option as far as my research to date has thrown up. But I haven't looked too extensively as yet.

The few on-line 'discussions' re: MS do state it's rare though so in that respect it's a feather in the frames cap, got some finishing work to do and a bit of work on the chrome still to finish and then a groupset decision - that would be easier if I could nail down a date for the frame.

As an indication of its rarity...2 sets in eBay, only one with bb shell, no other lugs: £580 per set. Mad price, but someone will probably buy them:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... mp;alt=web

Most of pb**bike's stuff is about 3x the cost of the same parts from Ceeway or other framebuilding suppliers...£300 for an SLX tubeset. A modern Columbus Life set would be £180ish.

All the best,

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
danson67":1npozbnq said:
As an indication of its rarity...2 sets in eBay, only one with bb shell, no other lugs: £580 per set. Mad price, but someone will probably buy them:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... mp;alt=web

All the best,

Wow, that's staggering - what with a framebuilder and paint cost to add that's one expensive frame!!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Really interesting thread, I thought Max was radical!

Fascinating to see what was being developed back then

Look forward to seeing progress on this build :cool:

Mike

"back then" - I wish I could narrow it down a bit to be honest. For a tubeset that is purported to be 85/86 ish but mine is 91/92ish (I think) it leaves a bit of a gap - more research required on the old interwebs :)

It's certainly an oddball tubeset but as you say it's fascinating to see what was being thought of before string & glue took over.

FINNEY1973":2r0c43m3 said:
it's fascinating to see what was being thought of before string & glue took over.

:LOL: :LOL:

Can't imagine the UHU brigade have moulded anything quite so angular !

A pearl/ flip flop paint job would really capture the profiles well. Pricey though

Re:

I wanted mine in a Neon pink when I first saw the frameset. I thought the profiles would look good highlighted with pencil thin pinstriping in black, but Vernon refused point blank and said it would look stupid and cheap. I was a 16 year old that was into VW Beetles at the time and neon colours were big in the Vdub scene of the early 90''s. I saw a feature on the latest Klein Attitude mountain bike which was finished in this green and yellow "gator linear fade" and was instantly sold on this. A few bits of anodised purple here and there and It looked awesome and still does 22 years later. ...Luke.

Back