Colnago 'pro' frame?

Re: Very pretty

Jerome":3ld6wae2 said:
Nice frame - even looks my size.
I might be tempted to come over from Kemptown and nab it, if I can work out where that view is.
I would only expect to see a race number peg on a team frame or a custom build.
I had a colnago super many years ago, but have switched allegiances to merckx now..
Looking forward to seeing the build..

That's a view of Ovingdean ;) recently moved there from Kemptown though.

Bastos87":3dmzji0q said:
I have a bike that says A. Bollen on the top tube, so I will make a pic of it and do some more research :)

Apparently Albert Bollen used to be a mechanic as a hobby and side-job and also was an amateur cyclist. (he first worked at the Belgian Rail Company)

After some time he started a bike shop. My source also tells me that he was a mechanic at several big biketours, but doesnt speficy which ones..

In 1995 his son "Erwin" took over the shop and was professional in 1999 for 1 year..

In 2004 Erwin Bollen founded "Bollini Cycling Team" ...

Very helpful, thanks ;)

Nice frame and very cool paint.

I had a Master with a number pip but I'm not sure that mine was a team or special issue although I'm sure someone well versed in Colnago history would know.

A plain saddle and tape would really highlight the frame/paint but what groupset are you planning to build it up with?

Nice frame and very cool paint.

I had a Master with a number pip but I'm not sure that mine was a team or special issue although I'm sure someone well versed in Colnago history would know.

A plain saddle and tape would really highlight the frame/paint but what groupset are you planning to build it up with?

KGrHqRgwE7PlR14WHBOGHHusGQ60_3.jpg

Thanks ! I'm not 100% sure of the exact model as it says decor near the seat lug but I thought the art decor was just a colour scheme and the tecnos model said tecnos where mine says decor. It's an early one I think as it's the tecnos (EL-OS) tubeset as opposed to the later tecnos 2000 tubeset.
I feel it has to be Campag due to this sticker that I guess it would originally have been built with. Either chorus or record would do the frame proud but the prices are scarey !! Wheels will be a toss up between some shamal titaniums or good spec period correct mavics depending on how flush I am ! The saddle will be a rolls or something from the san marco stable. It really is one of the most flashy art decor schemes i've seen whilst searching the net for the model.
Just waiting for my next bathroom installation at the end of the month :p

terryhfs":2fauernp said:

That's interesting, I wonder if they'd be interested in a little email and pic when it's built up?

The build up progresses. I won a great looking '94 dated san marco seat just 10 mins from where I live and just won these beauties (in my eyes!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160709972745? ... 1438.l2649

A set went for £700 in Surrey the other day on ebay although admittedly looked to be 100% and with the original bag !
I think I will start a build up thread as i'm getting impatient and want to get it done !

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
nammonk":ruiav9mx said:
Apologies for the slight hijack, but does anyone know how often Colnago supplied frames with race number bosses brazed on like this one? They seem pretty uncommon to me, but was it only for team bikes, or could they be ordered for anyone? I have a brazed on boss on my 82 Super, and would love to know how likely it is to have been a team frame.

Nick

These number bosses were relatively common in the Benelux where Codegex was the Colnago distributor. Codegex for the longest of times had a special relationship with Colnago whereby they would receive the frames unpainted. They would then replicate the designs that Colnago had approved and would also often add teh number boss. So given that this bike comes from Belgium and has a shop decal on it, you can almost exclude that it was a custom team bike. Number bosses originating in Italy are less common, but were delivered to some export markets where the importer insisted on them.

In late '89 I bought a Colnago Master frameset from Mike Perry at Wielersport (now Maestro). I don't know what the colour scheme was known as, but it was the team livery used by Panasonic the previous season: white/blue diamond pattern around the lugs with chrome fork, rear triangle and lugs. 'Moda' rings a bell.

This frame had a number boss which supports what you're saying as Mike sourced his frames from Codegex back then and probably still does(?).

Best frame I ever had. I raced a full season on it from 1990 to 1994 inclusive and got my first cat licence on it :cool:

Back