cold setting a 531c frame.

onegoodbike

Merlin Fan
Feedback
View
Morning,

can anyone point me in the direction of some good advice on 'cold setting' a 531c frame from 126mm to 130mm.

Cheers

Matt

Hey Matt. I’ve done this using the threaded rod-washer-bolt approach.
The first ‘tool’ in the picture shows that, and you ‘unwind’ the nuts from the inside to out and the metal washers sit against the dropouts. I wound them out more that 130mm as the frame tends to set back after you untension the nuts.
Then I checked the dropouts alignment using the home made, er, alignment tools. Much cheaper than a Park Tool and just as effective.
Of course I’d only done this on a frame I’d keep and ride. Dread to think what it does to warranties ; )

Attachments

• FBDEB62C-7DA9-4210-A01E-499D4A9D9FF6.jpeg
    FBDEB62C-7DA9-4210-A01E-499D4A9D9FF6.jpeg
    475.1 KB · Views: 9
Sheldon Brown as usual has good advice. I used the two long bits of wood approach. Be gentle, take your time. Even then it's only a 15 minute job.

I've always wondered. What happens if one side gets pushed out more than the other and so the frame is not aligned. I understand how to check this, but how do you cold set individual sides to put it back in line?

I've always wondered. What happens if one side gets pushed out more than the other and so the frame is not aligned. I understand how to check this, but how do you cold set individual sides to put it back in line?
Having had a quick look at the Sheldon Brown method suggested by hamster above, it appears to just be a bit of measuring and tweaking until correct?

Back