cold setting a 531c frame.

I was a bit worried that the pressure might have a detrimental effect on the bearings?.
not at all. the pressure isn't on the bearings it's on the lock nut and thus directly through the axle to the other drop out.
no bearings will be harmed in the making of this bike. :)

RJ The Bike Guy vid is OK, but better to do it one side at a time, then check, like he does in this instructional:

All the best,

I did this on a 531C frame which was previously built for 126 OLN. For the sake of making it slightly easier to fit 130 OLN wheels it makes relatively little difference. With that in mind I would not try it on a valuable frame that I cared about though I had no problems - I used the Sheldon, stout bits of wood, approach.

Thanks for the link to the video danson67, and thanks for sharing your experience glpinxit.

The frame in question is not particularly valuable, it's a recent acquisition in an attempt to build a bike I can take out in all weathers, I just need to make it compatible with modern-ish kit!.

I do wonder if the method in the first video gives more control of the spread with regard to maintaining frame alignment?...Thoughts?

last time I cold set a frame was a carlton, worth about 3 bags of peanuts and half a mars bar.
I stood on one drop out and pulled the other. :)

Just drink this & you are ready to go…….

Attachments

• 6262F4B4-5F6A-4DEB-871E-E3684F9D9487.png
    6262F4B4-5F6A-4DEB-871E-E3684F9D9487.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back