Clockwork build advice please

twiddler

Dirt Disciple
My wife suffers from arthritis in her hands and finds lever shifters painful to use. Prior to its onset, she enjoyed riding our Orange Prestige. We are almost the same height so that made sharing a bike easy but now need a second bike so that we can go out as a family on road/ light X country with our 9 YO.
I bought a ’90’s Clockwork as everything new around the £600 mark was way too heavy for my taste. It’s not going to be a purist retro build. To get around the gear problem I have gone for SRAM twist shift & associated mechs. I’m thinking that if we go for a more upright riding position that will help take the pressure off her hands. I think the 130mm original Stalk stem with no rise is probably not a good choice. I am not in touch with modern stuff at all and cannot fathom the trend for ugly looking stems with clamping bolts all over, there seems to be all manner of adjustable riser stems and bars etc and I appreciate that a 1” steerer is probably a limiting factor. So the question is what sort of combination of bars and stem would make a good choice without completely ruining the look of the bike ? I don’t want to have to keep swapping out parts to get it right if I don’t have to.

Secondly the old Deore cantis seem OK but I can’t reuse the original levers as they have the integrated shifters which I don’t need, shame as the levers are massive 4 finger jobbies which would help with the arthritis. I don’ like the look of v brakes and discs are probably OTT IMHO for our needs, I don’t have a suitable wheel set either. Can anyone recommend some suitable Shimano (ideally) lever models ideally 3 or 4 finger – I’m aware that the v brake levers would not be suitable. Finally I saw something about 2mm cables – will I need them on those old cantis ?
Any suggestions welcome Thanks

Tony

You could get a 1 inch to 1 1/8 steerer converter that would allow you to use any 1 1/8 stem for your build, you could then get a cheap adjustable stem and play with it until you hit the sweet spot comfort wise, then source a proper stem to match the final position (if one is available).

brake levers - don't see why you couldn't use v levers, they just pull a bit more cable so less lever travel for the same pad movement, I quite like it! but they tend to be 2 or 3 finger so that might be your limiting factor i suppose.

Re:

Useful info about v levers I see some have a hi/lomsetting so perhaps that alters the amount of cable travel?

I believe the bike is early '90's but will be guided by your views

I don't think the forks are original - they had a Tange sticker on each blade. The bike was black but the paint was v poor after 20 + years. I found the refinisher on eBay, those are his pics prior to despatch, hope to get it back this week. All being well I'll post his details if anyone is interested. It was Deore LX but the drive train was shot

I would suggest Magura brakes - they are really powerful and the cheaper ones with the big levers are ideal for hands with weak grip.

To simplify stems and setup, use a quill/ahead converter. It will also act as a steerer extension allowing you to get the bars higher. I also recommend the On-One Mary bars, which allow the hands to rest in a very natural position.

Re:

Thanks for the tips Hamster,

I have not seen Magura brakes before & will need to do some more research on them. Those on one bars are different and the U.K. Site has them on offer at £15, got to be worth at try at that price, Same site also has some other sensibly priced stuff too.

Frame arrived today & looks even better close up,

http://totalblastservices.com

Re:

Hi – that's a fab colour! Looking at the braze ons/cable stops, lug work and frame shape, it looks like an 89/90 frame and no later than 91/92. I use old Dia Compe SS7 levers now paired with modern Avid 5 Digit V-brakes fitted with Aztec gripper pads (72mm long) – combination works very well without any issues. You can fit a little pulley widget thingy http://problemsolversbike.com/products/travel_agents/ which allows using canti levers with v-brakes. Depending on your view of riser bars, these offer a good range of angles, unlike a flat bar. They also have a bit of flex in them, unlike flats which can be quite jarring.

Back