It wont be rat forever... i.d and help with my Clockwork ambition.

enigma

Retro Guru
Hi All,
So I bought Spankyb's uniquely painted old clockwork frame and fork recently.
This is my third Clockwork, ive a '92 I think silver and teal which is original patina mostly lx/ xt and much enjoyed..
I also have an ( hushed silence as rules broken ) 07 ltd which needs spraying, then building with hope / xtr which I have and now ive got my original dream I will I think go with purple for this one...
I am going to go with an original ish build with this bike. It will be orange and white, with og decals.
Probably black stem, the bars which came with the project are apparently saracen originals, loads of sweep back and width for shimmed old skool bars so I think colour coded white will work well.
I know its not posh but I believe it would of been possible ot order the bike exage equipped? and I have a small frame donor Marin with Araya rims like ive seen in some pics of these early clockworks, and dia compe levers in a mess that came with the bike will be restored and used...

So anyhow enough waffle, I have looked and not been able to locate the answers to a few questions:

By frame number can anyone confirm year, and tubeset for decals ? I read it A20702Z0..?

If you have a bike the same , any chance of some pictures to ensure the decals are correctly placed?

If youve ever successfully painted one, leads on a suitable orange? I settled on a vw orange but test spraying on some plastic tubing has me doubting this...

Seatpost diameter - I think is 26.8 not 27.0.. or is it pinched , does not look it but strange post size to me..?

Thoughts on appropriate saddles as I cannot decide?!

lots of questions probably but I know though I am new to orange fandom theres a lot of big fans on here.
I now own more Orange than Kona which is weird...!

Many thanks Ben IMG_2470[1].JPG IMG_2469[1].JPG IMG_2468[1].JPG

Yep, 26.8mm seat post on these, it'll be a July 1992 frame made with Tange Infinity tubes. The orange changed over the years, ranging from neon to carrot. Decals should be as they are in the picture, here's mine. Let me know if you want some specific pictures.

Photo 25-06-2022, 13 16 19.jpg Photo 07-03-2023, 12 10 40.jpg Photo 07-03-2023, 12 18 07.jpg

Thankyou chief, thats a great start to my silly questions.. I will have to investigate the age of the silver and teal one, that must be a bit newer maybe?
I can start the hunt for a seatpost I like, some deore thumbshifters arrived yesterday , it will come together nicely I think. thankyou for this. Ben

No worries Ben. The white should have a pearl type finish btw.

The silver/teal colour was the era that took over from my ones above and was offered for a few year around 93/4 (late 92 as well from memory?) and crossed over to the early C16's and switch from Tange tubes to Orange branded ones.

No worries Ben. The white should have a pearl type finish btw.

The silver/teal colour was the era that took over from my ones above and was offered for a few year around 93/4 (late 92 as well from memory?) and crossed over to the early C16's and switch from Tange tubes to Orange branded ones.
Agh so the fact its Tange labelled means it also is a 92/93, makes sense. Its a 20" frame and with the tyre's I chose, and the lx/xt mix from new ideal for taking on holiday to cornwall or canal bimbling, as the paint is tidy but not perfect. This one wont be chucked in a van when its done!

Yeah, basically orange/white, purple/orange, silver grey and black were the 1992 model year colours, silver/teal, orange/white and black the 1993 colours (with the block type decals) but there was always some overlapping.

Check out the cable routing as in 93 it changed to all three cables routed along the top tube, unlike your 92 above. The switch to Orange branded tubes seemed to coincide with the move to P7 and C16 although they did at least one batch of Clockwork's, probably in late 93 before the C16 took over for the 94 model year. Confusingly there are a few C16's in teal/silver!😂

Three on the top and these colours so '93.. good to know. It had varnish spilt all over the bb area and the forks, and the chainset..
Most of the chainset polished off after i stripped the bulk of the varnish with 2k thinners, the frame not so lukcy.. the teal appears ot be enamel sprayed over what looks like powdercoat, certainly the silver is tough the oversprayed teal is not. So for the foreseeable ive repsrayed with a similar silver the bb shell area and the forks.. its looks ok got me stopped a few times in Cornwall, they seem to love older bikes down there.. and the rest is too nice to be faffing with repaint. Unlike the rat project... that is in need of restorative justice in my opinion!

orange cable routing.jpg

Back