Chainsuck problem

Re:

This may sound obvious, but you said it started happening after adjusting the front mech, if nothing else has changed, you should probably look there first.

Re: Re:

Steve_T":3gmbyz6e said:
This may sound obvious, but you said it started happening after adjusting the front mech, if nothing else has changed, you should probably look there first.

Steve this was the first thing that pop to my mind too, the thing is I just don't see how FD can cause this. Also I have set it up in the way it was before chainsuck started to appear but it didn't help.

I have decided to try with new chainrings...these do not look worn but they were used and I think they are the cause. In any case I will order new set of middleburn chainrings and try it out. I will post the results here.

Re:

I had an issue of Chain Suck using a combination of Middleburn Hardcoat Rings and a brand new Shimano HG-93 chain.

Astonishingly, the problem was with the chain's outer plate sticking on the Chainring's pick-up rivets.

I realise that your problem was with up shifting, whereas mine was down shifting...... but as you can see in the picture below, the chain was being picked up by the Outer Chainring's rivet as I was shifting from middle to small. The angle of the chain's line was enough to push it far enough over towards the Outer, and catch on the pick-up rivet. It took me ages with the bike in the stand to see it happening, and get a picture.

Maybe yours is catching on the middle ring's pick-up rivet?

I resolved it by carefully filling a chamfer on the leading edge of the pick-up rivets.

Chainstuck_1_zpscybwtawf.jpg

Now sorted.

Pip

Well the rings are worn, granny worn enough to cause chain suck, probably not.

It happens under load, if you tip bike upside down, does it do this? Im guessing not. Take a look as how the chain moves for any sign of cs.

Also what is this front mech adjustment you did.

Re:

Acutally I only started to notice it when I was testing FD to see how it shifts; I was riding it slowly just around the block. The adjustment was repositioning it so the chain doesn't rub on outer plate of FD when I have it on the smallest cog and middle ring (barrel adjustment didn't help with this)

. ..are you in one of the 3 big cogs on the cassette when changing from granny to middle?

I believe that it makes no difference, which makes me think that the problem is in granny and middle chainring.

Difficult to diagnose this sitting in my armchair 2,000 miles away.

Can you try a narrower new chain?

Fit a new granny ring?

Back