Carlton Corsair

£40 well spent me thinks. I picked an unknown Carlton up for same money last week ( see road thread) but yours looks far superior. Looking forward to 'after' pics.

Forgive me Retrobike, for I have sinned. A few weeks ago a set of wheels with a flip-flop rear came up on here for a favourable price, so I decided to make this into a fixed gear bike. The bike had already been pretty much ruined, and didn't have as many original parts as I thought, so I don't feel too bad about it.

21198457190_1e17cc6b73_b.jpg

It's a bit rough and ready at the moment, if I get on with it I'll start making it a bit more presentable. It turns out the fork steerer tube is quite badly bent, so that will have to be dealt with before it gets pressed into service. That will be a free fix because my son has offered me the forks from his Raleigh Royal, which has a bent frame.

Mine was 27.2.

Got it for £25 as new ex-warranty stock from RSP when I worked at a bike shop in SW Manchester and got Frank Herety to drop the brake bridge for a 700C wheel and resprayed it.

Ran it as a fixed-wheel winter trainer for ten years or so until the rust took it and it went to the tip.

Back