CAN WE MAKE STANDARD DECORUM TO CHECK THE WTD ADS FIRST?

It's an interesting and inevitably divisive point. I think we have all felt the pain of missing out, so don't feel alone in that! It's a Retrobike 'if only' thing...

One thought occurs to me, which is, if sellers see 'needy' wanters, then it's hard to imagine the price is going to be tempered by 'market forces'.

On another related topic, being able to sell on here for similar technical reasons (traffic/searching) is forcing my current shed sale onto the dreaded FB. I'm wracked with guilt about this in many ways, believing as the OP does, that we're part of a community and that our sales are part of it - in terms of content and keeping it amongst ourselves. Guilt was tempered somewhat when most of my buyers are RBers hiding in the undergrowth! I still have items for sale here that have been on 5 years + - yet the same items crop up on Ebay and are brought to our attention here as though they have just arrived from Mars!

Re:

I’ll be honest I probably spend too much time on here, I view the site exclusively on mobile devises and it’s mainly just a case of got my phone in my hand I’ll just check rb, I just “view new posts” and read anything that catches my eye. I too am time poor and just enjoy buying/building bikes in my spare time. unfortunately I’m probably one of the people the op is complaining about. Bought a hope front brake this avo in fact. I think the Key to the wanted ads is keeping them up to date and I think a time limit might just help with that.

Understand the frustration but ultimately it’s not realistic. Too many what ifs...

What if there are multiple wanted ads for the same thing

What if a wantee doesn’t respond for 24/48/72 hours?

Bit like ‘dibs’

Great community here, people do help each other, but the only ‘rule’ that works is first to pay gets it

I’m not so sure it’s much of a problem, I’ve missed out & I’ve got lucky in pretty much equal measures. And I’ve found the wanted thread very useful especially if you give it a reasonable (monthly-ish) bump.

rjsdavis":3citws4d said:
I've been on here for years. I've been looking for some things, for 4-5 years. Time and time again, I find that some people that actually live on here, snap up things in minutes after they've been posted, and those that don't live on here, miss out time and time again.

Can I ask for your support, to turn this post into a sticky, to make it standard decorum for anyone selling desirable and/or rare kit, to check/search the Wanted Ads section first before posting it - I think it's reasonable to give anyone that's been looking for some kit first refusal on it, particularly if they've been looking for something for a long time.

This is a community after all.

Just say it, you need a 1" Powerlite. :LOL:

Re: Re:

d8mok":1arjknwg said:
Please don’t confuse what I’m saying. I log on and click “new posts” so I see any wanted adverts and would respond if I had anything. I’d also look if it’s a recent post. But to look back over 4-5 years like the OP mentioned is absurd.

It's very, very poor to deliberately misrepresent what I actually said to bolster your non-community spirited point.

I have threads which are 4-5 years old, and get bumped from time to time, to bring them back to the front page, and they just get longer and longer - some people on here will know how long I've been looking for a Syncros Powerlite steerer for example. The POINT was that some people have been looking for some parts for YEARS.

Re: Re:

jimo746":lr5kzv20 said:
If you've been looking for a certain part for 4-5 years, and you REALLY want that part, then I'd suggest you might consider "upping your game" and spending more time actively searching for said part, rather than appearing as though you'd like the part to simply fall into your lap.
Its worth exploring other possibilities outwith Retrobike too, Eg Facebook etc which many who don't frequent Retrobike regularly use.
I do check the Wanted section, sometimes it saves the time and effort of creating a lengthy For Sale post, and I've also had good success with replies to my Wanted ads.
Some things are just rare or obscure and simply don't come up for sale very often, it can be annoying if you miss something, but that's life.

Wow - you really think I don't do that, and simply sit there hoping someone will come along and pop it into my lap? :facepalm:

Thanks for lecture though. I really, really needed it.

Hotwheels.":71u2r8u1 said:
rjsdavis":71u2r8u1 said:
I've been on here for years. I've been looking for some things, for 4-5 years. Time and time again, I find that some people that actually live on here, snap up things in minutes after they've been posted, and those that don't live on here, miss out time and time again.

Can I ask for your support, to turn this post into a sticky, to make it standard decorum for anyone selling desirable and/or rare kit, to check/search the Wanted Ads section first before posting it - I think it's reasonable to give anyone that's been looking for some kit first refusal on it, particularly if they've been looking for something for a long time.

This is a community after all.

Just say it, you need a 1" Powerlite. :LOL:

Exactly. How long have I been looking/asking for that? Even got a 1 1/8" to effing swap! Still can't a response.

I've already had a stalker allocate my frustration to a bloody seatpost though! :facepalm:

Back