Can we be told in advance about BOTM?

FMJ":1wy1bq08 said:
the secret handshake group that only trades parts with each other.

I've heard of this type of activity in one of my other hobbies which I'm not so active in anymore - live recording trading.

Anyone care to explain why it appears to be a US phenomenon?

Sorry for taking it off the beaten track.

ah you mean the private iv mtb forum

membership of which seems to co-incide with becoming much more disparaging of retrobike, and with the purchase of increasingly obscure wallart?

and this forum auto corrects i v m t b to ivmtb

IT'S A CONSPIRACY!

Why did I bring other sites into it? To make my point - this IS currently a superior user site IMHO because it has been built on such key fundamentals as enthusiasm, good will and inclusion and has yet to be swayed from those, despite occasional pressures from contributors of varied persuasions.

The line about running a BotM is more than a tongue-in-cheek jibe to old spats - it illustrates that, despite frequent contributor issues, it's not that easy to manage forums/activities on behalf/for an unknown audience and to remind those that haven't or don't care to think about the skill, commitment and temperament required to steer a path through the maze of spiky malcontents hidden amongst the genuine enthusiasts. There was a time when everyone joined/participated with pure enthusiasm for the pastime - 5 years on, that goodwill is continually tested by a small and tiresome percentage. Some are new people finding their way about the nuances of forum-based information sharing, but most are old hands who re-emerge, seemingly to want to shape the forum in their own singular direction. If what is here doesn't satisfy - then respect to those that go off and do their own thing (and I include private forums in that view too) or get involved.

I'm no longer a moderator here, although my opinion does of course reflect time behind the scenes and as an organiser of events. I recognise that we are fortunate to have individuals that will run activities like this on our behalf and I'm therefore a supporter of their efforts and of what I believe makes this particular site continue to be of value to its audience.

BoTM or PoTM are only for fun.
Retrobike is fun too.

Knowing the list of the futur themes, andso, a competition spirit come into the retrobike world, and in my opinion, competition and retrobike are really opposition.

It's cool to discover month after month theme. Ramdon is cool too :D

As you feel the need to jibe other forums to make your point, certainly there will be a reaction, whether posted here on RTB or not.

Enthusiasm and goodwill your way,
T

I don't know how we got from a debate about an effort to uphold standards without sacrificing inclusivity, to the tired, childish, bitter inter-forum bullshit.

Recently CK wrote in a magazine about these opposing factions. When asked on his opinion on the differing ethos of both camps he offered 'I have no opinion- its all good' or words to those effect.

It might be worth remembering those wise words before this spirals into another shit-flinging contest.

I am sometimes saddened to see long standing members of this great site, members who like to promote a happy- clappy world of inclusion, take every opportunity to take swipes at those that have taken the effort to raise their game to a higher level. Yes, some of those people can be a pain in the ass, but inclusion is a two way street and they should get the same respect as someone who is content to own lesser collections.

So lets all be cool like Fonzy and try and be nice to each other. Its just old bikes at the end of the day.

We've been here before.

The thread was originally about whether we'd let people know about BoTM special months in advance. The answer is no, we won't. Mainly becasue the specials are decided upon at the time.

We also don't intend to change the BoTM format to favour any sort of bicycle although we will continue to run special months.

mrkawasaki":3ubg28pn said:
Why did I bring other sites into it? To make my point - this IS currently a superior user site IMHO because it has been built on such key fundamentals as enthusiasm, good will and inclusion and has yet to be swayed from those, despite occasional pressures from contributors of varied persuasions.

The line about running a BotM is more than a tongue-in-cheek jibe to old spats - it illustrates that, despite frequent contributor issues, it's not that easy to manage forums/activities on behalf/for an unknown audience and to remind those that haven't or don't care to think about the skill, commitment and temperament required to steer a path through the maze of spiky malcontents hidden amongst the genuine enthusiasts. There was a time when everyone joined/participated with pure enthusiasm for the pastime - 5 years on, that goodwill is continually tested by a small and tiresome percentage. Some are new people finding their way about the nuances of forum-based information sharing, but most are old hands who re-emerge, seemingly to want to shape the forum in their own singular direction. If what is here doesn't satisfy - then respect to those that go off and do their own thing (and I include private forums in that view too) or get involved.

I'm no longer a moderator here, although my opinion does of course reflect time behind the scenes and as an organiser of events. I recognise that we are fortunate to have individuals that will run activities like this on our behalf and I'm therefore a supporter of their efforts and of what I believe makes this particular site continue to be of value to its audience.
Once again, I find myself in total agreement with this.

Well thought out, well worded, and well said.

Back