Can we be told in advance about BOTM?

here's a question

people with six midrange bikes.... why?

i used to do the same, then i had a moment, sold the lot and bought something gorgeous, and found riding nirvana....

marky2484":2br9cffz said:
"eveyone thinks that they have the prettiest wife at home."

I don't. That's why I'm sleeping with my mates wife
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :shock:

Hey! I thought I was the lowest common denominator around here! :LOL:

cce":2ghu237n said:
here's a question

i used to do the same, then i had a moment, sold the lot and bought something gorgeous, and found riding nirvana....

Why not, nice to have a bit of choice and just because it is expensive does not mean it will be any better (however there should be an improvement in quality) and you might be put off riding the more expensive one too. I think a lot of folk on here are collector types so having a few bikes that are affordable seems fine to me.

clockworkgazz":bn3fypz0 said:
cce":bn3fypz0 said:
here's a question

Why not, nice to have a bit of choice and just because it is expensive does not mean it will be any better (however there should be an improvement in quality) and you might be put off riding the more expensive one too. I think a lot of folk on here are collector types so having a few bikes that are affordable seems fine to me.

it's all cool, i'm genuinely interested to see people's motivations. i used to do it myself, but i realised that what i was looking for was to be found elsewhere

for the price of 4-5 midrangers, i have a bike that (imo) will hold its own against anything that can be offered up.

clockworkgazz":1h4n4o23 said:
cce":1h4n4o23 said:
here's a question

... just because it is expensive does not mean it will be any better (however there should be an improvement in quality) and you might be put off riding the more expensive one too.

It has been said before, but I will reiterate, there are plenty, plenty great quality/expensive/high-end (delete as appropriate) bikes out there if you put some effort into looking. Personally I like bikes that are rare, of a high quality, preferably custom built and inexpensive. I imagine I earn less than the average on here, but shrewd purchasing has enabled me to get some pretty good bikes.

legrandefromage":rzx3ikk1 said:
my 'mid range' has been one of the best riders I've ever had.

the high end stuff I've owned has often let me down

My purple Kili, which people have been nice and complimentary about, was intended to be/has been a pretty cheap build all things considered - and I simply don't have the patience of a Sinnerman/Sinnett to put in the effort in to compete at that level; but I had a brief pootle around on it the other day to get the setup right and OMG :shock: fits like a glove hardly begins to describe it!

I simply couldn't like it any more if it had cost me 10x what it did - and TBH I'm not really that fussed what other people think of it either. I'll probably enter in it BoTM at some point, but possibly not against the amazing Yeti in this months, but only to see it rank up alongside the others and perhaps see what you do think after all??

Were it not for the Forum I would never have contemplated building a bike like this, personal prejudices and blinkered attitudes I had by the score... :oops:

Now I have people like LGF and drystonepaul to thank for opening my eyes to a world of possibilities (and financial ruin!) I had never previously considered - thanks guys, I think... :LOL:

Back