Can anyone date/ID this Bonty...

Lastly, would we agree -$200 is a good price for the frame, forks, headset and post?

Last edited:
Isn't @sinnerman the resident expert?

Based on his notes in the Show Us Your Bonty thread, vertical drop outs (this seems to have them) mean Race or Race Lite. The guides are welded, and the rear cable stop is on the rear of the seat tube, I think. Which would mean pre-94?

But the one above is allegedly a 96 and a Privateer and looks just like this one.

In one other photo I have, the downtube gusset looks to be the bulkier kind:

View attachment 568404

Oh, I don't know.

I'm talking to myself.

And in circles, at that.
No expert just a long term fan. In fact i even argued the point of the headtube size, due to selling them for years and even post 98 never retailed one with an 1" 1/8 headtube. Alas i was wrong despite never seeing one at the time. Go Figure.

I can only echo all the sentiment here though, it is a privateer, and that will make very little difference..! thumbnail_IMG_0896 (3).jpg thumbnail_IMG_4076_Moment(5).jpg

I'd say $200 is perfectly reasonable, it might not have been built in Santa Cruz, but it is still a nice riding US made frame. You'd struggle to get much else like it for that price.
Regarding weight, I managed to delete the photos but weighing a medium sized Race and Privateer one was 1995g and the other was 2007g for the bare frame. I can't remember which way round though.
So bugger all in it! 😁

My thoughts exactly @benjabbi.

Especially as I was after something to build a weird little camping rig around; nothing too precious I'd be worried about bastardizing with a mix of components, racks and bags; nothing I'd care too much about getting banged around and beaten up.

This seems to fit that bill, with the added bonus of having a little heritage. Or at least some connection to a little herritage!

Then again....

I've just bought half a bike that's the total other end of the spectrum, with the balance due upon receipt tomorrow. Which might mean even $200 is a stretch too far all of a sudden.

I guess we'll see.

More in due course. Naturally.

Is the 200usd for the bike with the s&s couplers? That's a damn good price as the conversion would have cost at least that.

There is a privateer on us eBay right now:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Is the 200usd for the bike with the s&s couplers? That's a damn good price as the conversion would have cost at least that.

There is a privateer on us eBay right now:

No, no. That was a photo I pulled from the Show Us Your Bonty thread, just to use for comparison. The $200 is for the bike as seen in the first photo I posted on Page 1. For frame, fork, headset, and seatpost.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ah, right. Looks lovely, same as the one that I had and resprayed in red. Good that it has the rigid fork as the Jett's were always garbage.

I'd pay 200usd for that

I've posted this before, but here it is again.

That frame looks like a 19" / XL. Mine was a 17" and had a sloping top tube.

bontrager-frame-geometry.jpg

Another one:

51440405911_639846e65d_b.jpg

51439656752_9640c84b8a_b.jpg

The fork is a nice Quadra 21R with black Bontrager crown.

The other parts are there too. I will build it in a couple of weeks. It is 54cm c-t. Stem is 140mm. It is a large bike.

Last edited:
Oooooohhhh.

Nice!

Mine, if I get it, will be like a beaten and abused twin!

The seller claimed it was a Large size, but looking at the size charts posted above and the photos, I'm inclined to agree with you @slackboy. Looks like an XL to me too.

Back