Campagnolo 50th Anniversary Chainset and BB Advice Please

Really interesting responses on the Cups chaps. There's more to this Campagnolo BB enigma than meets the eye isn't there!

Here's a pic of my Road frame, last messed around with in 1978 when I left home to go to Uni. This frame had almost everything 1970's bolted to it....Campag, Shimano, Zeus, Campag, ofmega, OMAS, Suntour plus anything the reps could let me have. It last ran a Campag chainset with holes drilled in the ring by me. As you can see the non drive side cup sticks out...

novbld.jpg

idenol.jpg

This is because I'm running thick Sakae SR Cups with a Campag (black) axle designed for thin cups.

As most people know I have a liking for Jap stuff and when I could I bought the Sakae Ringyo LA5 chainset and ran that as a double on the Falcon......when the TT Bob Jackson frame arrived I took the SR double, filed off the inner lip, painted the recesses black and ran it as a single ring for time trialling with a Campag BB.

2zhmfm1.jpg

I had to stick something back on the Falcon, not sure where the first gen shimano was, so used the SR Cups (which were top class) and mixed and matched :)

The Catalogues of the day were not as helpful as they could so we made it up,as we went along :)

The frame is in my avatar, chopped about for a hill climb..

2efok7q.jpg

Shaun

Midlife":3qb9irn1 said:
Here's a pic of my Road frame, last messed around with in 1978 when I left home to go to Uni. This frame had almost everything 1970's bolted to it....Campag, Shimano, Zeus, Campag, ofmega, OMAS, Suntour plus anything the reps could let me have. It last ran a Campag chainset with holes drilled in the ring by me. As you can see the non drive side cup sticks out...
This is because I'm running thick Sakae SR Cups with a Campag (black) axle designed for thin cups.
As most people know I have a liking for Jap stuff and when I could I bought the Sakae Ringyo LA5 chainset and ran that as a double on the Falcon......when the TT Bob Jackson frame arrived I took the SR double, filed off the inner lip, painted the recesses black and ran it as a single ring for time trialling with a Campag BB.
I had to stick something back on the Falcon, not sure where the first gen shimano was, so used the SR Cups (which were top class) and mixed and matched :)

Shaun

Hi Shaun,
Just a thought. Is it possible that you have a 70-SS-120 Campagnolo spindle installed in the Sakae cups? Because that condition would look like that. As far as I know the Sakae RY-BBS bottom bracket kept the same part number through the mid 80's at least, and I believe but I'm not positive :shock: that all Royal cups were thin cups, I could easily be wrong.
I also am a fan of Japanese parts, Sakae Royal is one of my favorites, I like the black accents on your LA5 chainset. Here is a gratuitous photo of my LA5.

Best Wishes: Mike

ooooh! That looks nice :) The SR and Shimano had a depth of anodising that gave them a classy milky appearance.... Those rings are to die for:) I'll have a hunt for my SR Super Extra Light stem and seat post :)

The axle in the Falcon above could be anything, working in a bike shop in the 70's meant I had a smorgasbord of kit to use :) If you look at my avatar I'm running a black one of the below stems.......which I bought from the rep.

ST24-Belleri-gold.jpg

Shaun

Midlife":3gvkpvva said:
ooooh! That looks nice :) The SR and Shimano had a depth of anodising that gave them a classy milky appearance.... Those rings are to die for:) I'll have a hunt for my SR Super Extra Light stem and seat post :)

The axle in the Falcon above could be anything, working in a bike shop in the 70's meant I had a smorgasbord of kit to use :) If you look at my avatar I'm running a black one of the below stems.......which I bought from the rep.

Shaun

Hi shaun, The rings are Cambio Rino from the 80's, probably the coolest parts of their entire line of kit. The best part of the 70's and earlier was the amazing variety of parts that made up a race bike, and all the small manufacturers that built bike parts. Things were changing fast, and the japanese were leading with their high end stuff, I just wish more of it was made as it's getting hard to come by. I am a fan of your time trial bikes, very cool bikes your building.

: Mike

Back