Campagnolo Euclid 91 BB spindle length+Shimano compatibility

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Anyone know the recommended bottom bracket spindle length For a Campagnolo Euclid chainset from 1991? (Or is it 1989?)
And do they have good compatibility with Shimano bottom bracket square tapers?

Thanks

I’m fitting on my Dynatech decade and need to determine this - I’m getting. Rough figure of 127mm To 130mm Spindle on these for a nice chain line
Whereas I was getting a 2 mm less with Middleburn RS2 - but these lengths seem excessive - anything shorter and the crank teeth is jammed against the frame on these

The plot thickens as I found this :
And the Cranks are the same bar the finish - but BB axle length is 137mm

If anyone can solve this mystery please let me know

Attachments

• 07D3E9DB-ACB1-43A5-BD6B-DE9B74F09632.png
    07D3E9DB-ACB1-43A5-BD6B-DE9B74F09632.png
    388.5 KB · Views: 456
Extra info
Any help appreciated as I was /an about to pull the trigger on a campag contax 124mm but seeing this and looking at the frame chain line clearance etc - comparing the Shimano with ISO tapers etc - I’m thinking the 124mm may be too short and result in Chainring against chain stay
But 136 seems a bit long.

Any help appreciated

Here are my cranks - same as the satin finished ones
Above

Attachments

• 7A91582B-4510-45E6-8BCB-F6E229211A85.jpeg
    7A91582B-4510-45E6-8BCB-F6E229211A85.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 450
ibbz":1olzcfmr said:
Anyone know the recommended bottom bracket spindle length For a Campagnolo Euclid chainset from 1991? (Or is it 1989?)

Thanks

I’m fitting on my Dynatech decade and need to determine this - I’m getting. Rough figure of 127mm To 130mm Spindle on these for a nice chain line
Whereas I was getting a 2 mm less with Middleburn RS2 - but these lengths seem excessive - anything shorter and the crank teeth is jammed against the frame on these

Hi ibbz.

I've recently had the same ballache trying to get a correct axle length to run cooks cranks to run on my Trek 8700. I've ended up with a campagnolo 140mm axle mated to Stronglight cups to get correct crank/chainring clearance (check the Trek 8700 in my signature to see my woes)
My Raleigh Dynatech Endeavour runs a 124mm axle with Centaur cranks - but it was more of a lucky guess.. and there's not a lot of clearance to the chainstays.
I do have a 134mm axle from the Stronglight bottom bracket that could fit the bill if 136mm seems too long. It seems compatible with the campagnolo? PM me if you want to try that and I could send it on to give it a go?

Cheers
boy"O"boy

boy"O"boy":1nl5dihv said:
ibbz":1nl5dihv said:

Thanks

Hi ibbz.

I've recently had the same ballache trying to get a correct axle length to run cooks cranks to run on my Trek 8700. I've ended up with a campagnolo 140mm axle mated to Stronglight cups to get correct crank/chainring clearance (check the Trek 8700 in my signature to see my woes)
My Raleigh Dynatech Endeavour runs a 124mm axle with Centaur cranks - but it was more of a lucky guess.. and there's not a lot of clearance to the chainstays.
I do have a 134mm axle from the Stronglight bottom bracket that could fit the bill if 136mm seems too long. It seems compatible with the campagnolo? PM me if you want to try that and I could send it on to give it a go?

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Thanks mate for the information and the offer
I spent a nice while reading through your build threads and lapping up the info - interesting thing looking at Disraeli Gears catalogues the Centaur bottom brackets were of two different lengths - 124mm (as you have in the Raleigh) and 132mm.I was offered the 124mm contax and thought they’d be too short - but I found a 132mm on eBay (pictured) which I’m certain would be ideal - the other option would be the 136mm. Thing is - both the centaur and Euclid Bottom brackets look and descriptively are identical - and why would there be two options for the Centaur and only 1 for the Euclid?
I’m going to take a punt on this 132mm - I’ll of course fill you in as to how I fared. I would’ve preferred a 130mm sealed Phil Wood - but that would cost me over £100 and I can’t afford this outlay - seeing as I have to yet buy the Euclid pedals (seen NOS for £150 or used for £80)

Attachments

• D9E8066B-20F0-4545-8E2F-038544FD7F20.jpeg
    D9E8066B-20F0-4545-8E2F-038544FD7F20.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 436
Re:

I’ve been researching an Euclid groupset for an upcoming build and would say that 132mm seems to be ‘the one’, so I’ll think you’ll be alright.

As boy”O”boy found out though - you just won’t know for sure until you’ve got frame/cranks/BB in hand!

I’ve just fitted a 107mm Specialized BB, mated to an M900 XTR chainset on my FSR, and I was convinced it would be too short - but there is oodles of clearance!

Re: Re:

Once A Hero":3fpx6jbw said:
I’ve been researching an Euclid groupset for an upcoming build and would say that 132mm seems to be ‘the one’, so I’ll think you’ll be alright.

As boy”O”boy found out though - you just won’t know for sure until you’ve got frame/cranks/BB in hand!

I’ve just fitted a 107mm Specialized BB, mated to an M900 XTR chainset on my FSR, and I was convinced it would be too short - but there is oodles of clearance!
Yes that’s what conclusion I came to too - and the good thing about these Campy BB’s is that you can just chop and change the spindle - not something which can be done with a sealed unit.
I bought the ones above and look forward to them coming!
Here is an invaluable source :
http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Cam ... an_10.html

Re: Re:

Once A Hero":zcaixx1c said:

I pulled off the right move - 132mm is perfect!
I also got myself a seat binder and Euclid pedals
The downside is that the pedals are heavy (as is the seat QR binder)
So for anyone ever wanting to fit a Euclid chainset - it’s 132mm with an ISO taper.
Here are some pics (bike just needs the cables sorted and the Record OR cantis set up)

Attachments

• D508C9BF-16DC-4EB0-A8BE-18CD76D71837.jpeg
    D508C9BF-16DC-4EB0-A8BE-18CD76D71837.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 361
  • 262258B5-9B66-49D5-9410-8F79E4EA970A.jpeg
    262258B5-9B66-49D5-9410-8F79E4EA970A.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 361
  • 5664513F-9077-4581-B703-468948FC40C0.jpeg
    5664513F-9077-4581-B703-468948FC40C0.jpeg
    329.1 KB · Views: 361
Campagnolo taper is different from Shimano. Once you install a campa crank on a shimano spindle it´s converted to shimano. If you ever sell the crankset after doin it you need disclose the info: it won´t fit campagnolo BB anymore.

Prodigal Son":1f5sux20 said:
Campagnolo taper is different from Shimano. Once you install a campa crank on a shimano spindle it´s converted to shimano. If you ever sell the crankset after doin it you need disclose the info: it won´t fit campagnolo BB anymore.
Yes the Campy has an iso taper - I’ve inserted a campag crank on a Shimano spindle - it fits but not as correctly as on an ISO taper - so took it off - but how would This ‘convert’ it ? Haven’t tampered with nor changed the inside shaft

Back