Campagnolo 50th Anniversary Chainset and BB Advice Please

originalshinkicker":1ans8e4t said:
You can go mad trying to find answers to this question on the internet as nothing seems to tally, even with Campag official information.

This ...

I suspect this thread is now a better reference on this matter than any collection of Campag literature ...

This is what makes this forum so great ... a real pooling of knowledge.

Hear Hear.
On the subject of Campagnolo documents one thing I have concluded is that Campagnolo USA documents do not always tally with European ones, and I suppose thats reasonable in that they were separate markets

Re:

Found some more info to digest....

Have a look at these links; http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/co ... -comp.html. The early versions are pre 1967 (151mm bcd type) and, I presume that, the later are the 144mm bcd cranks.

I quote from the above link:” Michael Maher from Charleston, USA points out that there is a superb technical piece on Campagnolo BB and axles on pages 5-7 of Campagnolo Record News technical bulletin (Winter 1982-83). Many thanks for this, it is the most comprehensive article I have seen on this subject: http://www.campyonly.com/history/record ... ol_1-2.pdf

The document you have linked to was the source of information used to populate my spreadsheet.
If anybody with a genuine interest wants an excel copy pm me your e mail address.

NOS 114.5mm Nuovo Record arrived today. I measure the segments as described above at 31, 49.5 and 34mm.
Yippee........

Re:

I am surprised that no one has said a word about :shock: bottom bracket cups... Thin cups vs thick cups.
The thin cups were used on Record and Super Record double crankset with bottom bracket spindles marked 68-SS-120 (112mm ish) through 1977 (ish).
1978 (ish) was the first year for the CPSC stuff and the double crankset spindle P/N changed to 68-SS (114mm ish) and used the thick cups with the helical groove...
The cups do not interchange between the two spindles as the 68-SS P/N have the bearing centerline moved 1mm per side inboard (total 2mm) to use the "improved" :facepalm: thick cups...
The way tell if you have the wrong cups for your spindle is first the chain line is screwed up and... Thick cups on P/N 68-SS-120 (112mm ish), once installed and adjusted, the adjustable cup will have 2.5mm of threads sticking out past the lockring. Thin cups on p/n 68-SS (114mm ish) once installed and adjusted, there will be insufficient threads on the adjustable cup to install the lockring.
This is a case of if... it installs and looks right it probably is... If it doesnt look right you have the wrong cups.
NOTE: Pista and Triple Record cranksets and their associated spindles all use thin cups with a confusing array of spindle lengths... Let's not go there ;) .

: Mike

We're there only two types of cups per thread size produced?
I am aware that different lock ring widths, (3 I think), were available to cover different installations

Re:

I removed this titanium SR bottom bracket from an old bike a few years ago; it is an example of the damage using the wrong type a cup on the drive side can cause. The photo shows two set of score marks on the axle where it has been rubbing against the cup rifling.

I should have been a SR alloy cup that is designed for 3/16” bearings, and using 3/16” bearings caused the first score mark, the second a result of fitting ¼” bearings. In both cases the axle would move under load and hence the rubbing. I wonder how the rider did not notice the chain ring was running way out of true.

Luckily the axle bearing surface seems to have survived. So I am on the lookout for the correct cup.

Attachments

• P1010174.JPG
    P1010174.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 453
  • P1010175.JPG
    P1010175.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 453
John J":2c6nbax4 said:
We're there only two types of cups per thread size produced?
I am aware that different lock ring widths, (3 I think), were available to cover different installations

Hi John,
Correct, two(*) types of cups over the range of threadings. That being said, (*)the titanium Super Record bottom bracket introduced in 1974 is unique as it has aluminum cups and takes smaller bearings and those cups only fit the Campagnolo titanium spindle, so that's the third type of cup and there may be variants of the aluminum cups that I don't know of. A bit of a unicorn.
Speaking of narrow cups, in the mid 1970's the Sakae Ringyo (SR) Royal crankset was a dimensionally (interface) correct copy of Campagnolo's early record crankset right down to the ISO tapers on the 112mm spindle. This crankset was of such quality that it was rebranded and sold by O.M.A.S. and Mavic in the 1980,s :shock: . So here is an example of how far you can go with "Japanolo" "thin" cups.
This bottom bracket for my Teledyne Titan, is built from SR royal cups, Campagnolo 10 ball phenolic caged bearings, 112mm Teledyne titanium ISO spindle, and a generic aluminum lockring. the total weight for the assembly is 223 grams with titanium crank bolts and 17-7 stainless washers and is a direct fit for pre 1977 Campagnolo Record doubles, not bad for steel cups :D .

: Mike

Back