Build thread - Brodie Sovereign '95

You decided not to restore the chain suck mounts?
I talked with Paul about it.

When we talked, he only had the 3 mounts chain suck plates available. These ones were created for later models. I believe '97 and afterwards.

Anyways, as I didn't want to wait until he would get some more orders for 2 mounts ones (he probably needs orders from several clients to make sense for him to build them in a batch) I decided against it.

It should be fine though...I can even mount a Tektro one from the 90s if need be.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I have been meaning to complete this project faster as I am really curious to see how Brodies ride but as is usually the case in life, some other projects got in the way (an American Comp Lite being one of them) and so this Sovereign was left dormant.

I slowly gathered all the parts I would need for this build and also started looking at my stashed ones to see what I could repurpose.

I have finally reached the point where I can start pulling it altogether now.

Here are a few pics as of a few hours ago:

FF1E0884-781A-41D0-9DB7-E540B0F64A07.jpeg
94BEB876-3CC3-44F6-8751-9339C9628700.jpeg
72B2C0F2-CE90-4244-81A9-746D1EBBB12B.jpeg

Last edited:
I do have a question about the suspension fork I am planning to use in the future in case anyone can help.

I believe most suspension corrected Brodies had geometry to accommodate a Rock Shox Sid 63 that has 434mm axle to crown measurement.

My question is if I could fit a Fox Float R80 I recently acquired that has 450,9mm atc.

What about using an R100 that has an 470.9mm atc. Would that be too much difference and so not worth considering as an upgrade?

I imagine the difference to be small for both R80 and R100 from the original SID to be an issue but just wanted to double check.

Tx!

Last edited:
That is looking rather lovely indeed! I'm also getting very distracted by your lovely garage/workshop space:

Love the Mountain Bike poster, a proper rip-off Stumpjumper image! 😍
Loving the old drawers in the background (at the very back) and those just next to the Festool (yum!) dust extractor/vacuum. :cool:
What's the dark green cast iron piece of machinery?

Sorry I'm a proper garage/tool/bike perv! 🤣;)

I do have a question about the suspension fork I am planning to use in the future in case anyone can help.

I believe most suspension corrected Brodies had geometry to accommodate a Rock Shox Sid 63 that has 434mm axle to crown measurement.

My question is if I could fit a Fox Float R80 I recently acquired that has 450,9mm atc.

What about using an R100 that has an 470.9mm atc. Would that be too much difference and so not worth considering as an upgrade?

I imagine the difference to be small for both R80 and R100 from the original SID to be an issue but just wanted to double check.

Tx!
100% fine!

That is looking rather lovely indeed! I'm also getting very distracted by your lovely garage/workshop space:

Love the Mountain Bike poster, a proper rip-off Stumpjumper image! 😍
Loving the old drawers in the background (at the very back) and those just next to the Festool (yum!) dust extractor/vacuum. :cool:
What's the dark green cast iron piece of machinery?

Sorry I'm a proper garage/tool/bike perv! 🤣;)
No worries, at all.

Luckily here in Belgium almost every neighborhood of most cities have different kind of ateliers or workshops as they call them. It's in their culture really and honestly for me it was a game changer for my life in this country once I was introduced to such a space. With a small monthly fee I have access to a very - very creative space that it's close to 300 square meters big including a garden...

Apart from the office space for designers and audiovisual artists that includes a small recording studio there are 3 of us working on bikes with all the stands, equipment and tools to use. Then there is a guy who repairs electronics (amplifiers, old speakers, pcs, etc.), another guy works on motorbikes and at the very end the drawers you mention it's a section for another guy who works on printing the old way with a machine from Hedielberg from 1919! So all the drawers there have his typesets / fonts and toolery needed for his job.

I can take some more pictures next time I am around if you are interest...

And if you ever pass by Belgium you are invited for a 🍺 too!

Latest posts

Back