Bryan Warnett track bike info

Re:

Here's a Picture of e on this very Road-Bike and if my memory serves me correct, riding to a placing in a prominent road-race ...

Attachments

• Gareth RoadRace.jpg
    Gareth RoadRace.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,020
Billybach, thanks. Just sent you a PM back with details of how to check that this is mine. Let me know.

Welshkiwi

Sorry for not getting back to you WelshKiwi, I had to watch the rugby on Saturday and have been hectic at work since. Poor excuses I know. I will get the frame out tomorrow night and check it, and if it is your old one, which it certainly sounds like, you will be reunited soon. Love that picture of you on it and I am really looking forward to seeing it restored.

cheers

No worries billybach, I can have it collected ASAP and as soon as you are ready, no problems on that front. Yes indeed, it'll be good to have this restored (should never have let all 3-bikes go). As I said earlier in this Post-thread, Bryan was a good bugger and helpful to me so time to put this baby back out on the road and in perfect condition. I'll make sure that I'll win one or two events on it also, that'll really turn the clock back to see Bryan's bike back up there. Thanks again, just PM me the details when you are ready.

Welshkiwi

Great to see a bike going back home. I've managed it with one of my bikes, the 1972 Dave Russell.

Now, whatever happened to my James Fothergill, my Harry Quinn, my Eddie Soens, my Falcon track, my Bob Jackson, my Sergio...........etc.etc.!

There's a few tell-tale signs on here to confirm its mine.

1 - The name-transfer set. This is in fact not the usual set of Bryan's transfers. It is in fact two-sets as I specifically wanted the name running up the seat tube the same as it was on the down-tube. Bryan's usual set was a 'stacked' vertical one. Bryan agreed because it would look better in pictures (highly likely given the competition level I was at) but 'moaned' about wasting another transfer set of unused elements. Hence, I know he wouldn't have done this lightly for others !

2 - I remember changing the BB unit and axle to a 'Miche' as we couldn't get a-hold of a Campag one once and this picture has a 'Miche' BB installed. They were not a common BB but were compatible with both Shimano and Campag back then at a fraction of the cost.

3 - Originally, a Campag head-set was fitted and like the BB unit was changed when it crapped-out and I got a cheaper alloy set. For the life of me I can't recall the name of it but if it is stamped on the head-set, I could confirm yes or no.

4 - The geometry looks odd and mine was odd. I was taller in the leg than I was longer in the arms. Remember this was hand-built. So, I needed a short top-tube, which would result in a larger than normal head-tube for the size bike and something that would look out of proportion. Look at this picture and you can see the same hallmarks.

5 - Bearing in mind the short top-tube, I do remember it being 21-inch or 21.5 inch so, if you measure from the centre of seat-tube along the top-tube to the centre of the head-tube it should be 21 or 21.5 inches.

6 - Similarly, the measurement of the seat-tube should be 22-inch from centre of BB to top of the seat-tube.

7 - Even tho I was riding road-races, I was predominately on the Track back then and resisted a double bottle cage set-up.

Billy, if these align I have my bike ..... There's enough in 1 to 7 that it couldn't be another one ....

My Mum still lives just outside Cardiff and my brother is often in Cardiff so it wouldn't be an issue to collect it from you.

You are dead-right, restoration of this is not going to be cheap and economically not worth it but to me it is. I have already lined-up a frame builder down here in NZ who is able to do the work for me (haven't told the wife yet of course) and restore this back to a beautiful state.

Billy, check these things out for me and get in touch, if you are OK with it, I'd love to collect it, restore it and ride it once again

I have checked everything - the top tube is 21", seat tube 22", has one braze on bottlecage mounts, an OMAS headset, MICHE bottom bracket.

When do you want to pick it up? I don't suppose you are coming home to watch Wales v All Blacks next weekend are you? It would be good to meet you and give to you in person!

Have been reading a bit about 531SL and it is so thin that I hope the rust has not made it even thinner. Hopefully your framebuilder will be the best to advise.

There is rust under the top tube, on the back of the seat tube and on the rear stays. The forks are extremely rusty, with the chrome just falling off.

Here are some more pics and a video of the worst of it.

OMAS headset
6aTZP3El.jpg

Back of set tube
C4wmQXel.jpg

Forks (531 Special Lightweight)
vFypcVIl.jpg

Forks
jQTZU5nl.jpg

Underside of downtube
mTBZnMsl.jpg

Underside of toptube
Ia2RWiul.jpg

Back of seat tube
2PM5ourl.jpg

Underside of downtube
rsZTyX3l.jpg

Forks
5Y1VPhkl.jpg

Front
YV9z9Dhl.jpg

Underside of rear stays
Cqf9RGXl.jpg

Reynolds 531 Special Lightweight Respray
SQz3a6il.jpg

Reynolds 531 Special Lightweight Forks
wdEG9WIl.jpg

and from the other side
RJ8wwQ2l.jpg

Youtube video
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkSTDoNuUeg[/youtube]

Excellent News Billybach. No unfortunately, I was only back in Cardiff a 6/7 months ago as my Dad passed-away (BTW, he loved how this bike looked) so, not planning on being back until next year now, hopefully for 'Wales in a Day' where I hope to ride this bike.

Yes, she's certainly going to be a big job but one that's worth it. Been doing a lot of 'favour' asking and nothing is impossible so hopefully all should go OK. It will cost a fair bit but worth it. The frame and forks will probably be stripped in the UK, my Bro will arrange that, from there, once the frame is cleaned, we'll be able to asses the damages better. Hoping that the Chrome has largely taken the impact on the forks and a good strip back, dip and re-chrome so see them OK. There may be some 'pit' marks that we can't do much about but let's have a go hey? One thing that would make the job easier is if there are some of Bryan's transfer kits around still, I'll ask Mum to pop down and see how Bryan is as well as bring him up to speed with what's been happening, he may have some transfer kits.

This will be a classy restoration of the frame and it will be back to its former glories within a few months. I'll have to start a New-Thread on here to post Pictures to so all can see the progress.

OK, Mum or my Bro can collect from you fairly promptly, you just need to tell me where and a contact number and name (best do that in a private message to me on here) or to the email welshkiwisinnz@gmail.com

Thanks again and hear from you soon.

Welshkiwi

Back