Bryan Warnett track bike info

bikers666":2sd4d2db said:
Sorry, but rereading my last post,that should be Sally Hodge, and as far as I know she is still thriving and not "shot while racing".

Na, sorry, I knew Sally well, she used to ride a Team Issue "Ti Raleigh" on the track and never rode one of Bryan's frames. As Jon mention's however, I am fairly certain that Clare did have one of his at, some point in her career but I'm not sure for how long, my memory is being stretched here a wee bit but I'm fairly sure, Clare had a 'Roberts' for a while, perhaps an 'Argos' and I can't recall what else she rode later-on in her career, i think there's a 'Blower' in there as well but she's still about and Jon can touch base with her on that hopefully.

Very pleased to give your frame back to your brother today WelshKiwi. It is a shame I did not have more time to talk to him. He mentioned that you won UK National Championships on that bike.

I am really looking forward to seeing the progress of the rebuild. Please keep us posted.

Best of luck

billybach":1jkuqh29 said:
Very pleased to give your frame back to your brother today WelshKiwi. It is a shame I did not have more time to talk to him. He mentioned that you won UK National Championships on that bike.

I am really looking forward to seeing the progress of the rebuild. Please keep us posted.

Best of luck

Thanks for your help with this.

Yes, my brother telephoned me last night to let me know. He is already looking at ways to help and assist me with the rebuild as availability is going to be far easier in the UK than in dear old NZ at the bottom of the World here. Next step is to get Mum to call-in on Bryan and just see how is holding-up, health wise. I understand she has been in touch with one or two who still have contact with him. I'll also send him some info, pictures and updates as well, as I've said before, he was a 'good bugger' (a typical Kiwi term for good sort) to me.

National Championship? No, he's mistaken. I've won Welsh titles but not a UK one. Sure, this bike has seen a lot, won a lot, travelled a lot, has been ridden internationally and has competed in events in Wales, Scotland the wider UK, France, Spain and Ireland for both Wales and GB teams but not a UK title.

OK, looking ahead, as this is where the hard work starts, I want to canvass the opinions and views of everyone on here as the best way of providing progress reports, updates, photographs et al ... This is a forum chat board and can be clunky at times (especially on a phone) so was wondering would it be easier if I established say, a FB Page or a Blog Page ? a FB page for everyone to access would seem the easiest and works well on mobile devices but .... Thoughts?

As well as a the location of the update, what about a name? a Title? any thoughts on this?

I want this restoration to be as visible and as accessible as it can be for everyone. Bryan was a terrific frame builder and I will do this proud with the restoration I have planned so, before I set anything up, more than happy to receive thoughts, advice, tips, views, opinions whatever ... either openly on here, as a Message on here or to the email address listed. All welcome.

Lots of updates to come all, let it begin !!

Welshkiwi

Please don't move to facebook! Try and keep it on Retrobike, or a wordpress blog, but never ever facebook, it has got to be the worst site in the world! In fact I have it blocked on my router to stop my kids going on there.

I have another frame from the same place - do you recognise it at all? It was hand painted, but some sort of yellow/off white underneath. No transfers or frame material. It is a single-speed/fixed wheel/hub gear for the road with drilled forks and cable routing braze-ons. It has chromed rear stays and chrome forks (not pictured). Nice lugwork. Very difference to the Bryan Warnett frame. Any details would be appreciated.

UiKaMk5l.jpg

mEL2VsSl.jpg

No, I don't recognise it but I am fairly cetain it's not a Bryan frame. Bryan used straight lugs not fancy ones and he was never a chrome fan. Sure, I chromed the forks but never on the rear triangle. Bryan always also put BW on the seat stay wrap around or the fork crown.

Bryan used to have a simple frame numbering system and you will find it under the bottom bracket, it went xx/xx with the first numbers being the actual number of the frame he'd made (in sequence) and the second two being the year. Have a look and see if there's numbers like thus under the BB. Remember he never built that many frames so the numbers won't be high on the first two and as for the second two, these will range from about 77 (for 1977) to about 86 (for 1986) or there abouts. As the 80s went on he made less and less.

It has a 5 digit number on the rear left dropout. Stamped in a similar way to yours which is a 5 digit and 2 digit on the bb, but I suppose that means nothing.

It is a shame as the frame too big for me at 23", so maybe I will sell it. Most of the paint has come straight off with a wire brush!

My Red track bike i.e. WelshKiwi's steed has now returned to the maker's family fold where it will be treasured as a key piece of family history.

Back