Bryan Warnett track bike info

Re:

Hi Bill

Welshkiwi's bike is indeed back in the family, not with Bryan but with his sister - my mother.

Hopefully she's not reading this thread, as it's currently being wrapped by elves and will be there under her tree to surprise her on Christmas Day. I'm sure there will be tears.

Joe, a big 'thank you' to you for offering me first refusal. And thanks to Welshkiwi too, who agrees that his old steed has gone to a good home. It will be stored away at Mum's and passed on to my sons in years to come.

It's another thread to this story and not something to go into detail, but I'm hoping the bike will help to bring our family back together.

I'll be sure to post a pic here of Mum and the bike on Christmas Day.

By the way Joe, when my brother-in-law picked up the bike for me, he called me, worried that I'd been ripped off... he wanted to alert me to the fact that it has no brakes and no gears!!

Jon

Hi everyone, as promised here's a pic of the lucky lady and her new bike.

(Bryan's sister and my Mum in case anyone didn't know).

Many thanks to Joe for making the trip all the way over to Leicestershire from Pembrokeshire. And thanks to WelshKiwi for let me bring this beauty back into the family.

Will post pics of her riding it as soon as we can lower the saddle enough!

jon

Attachments

• P1040475.jpg
    P1040475.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 835
Hey,
I just joined this forum and the first thing I did was search for Bryan Warnett.
My grandad used to race back in the 70's, maybe earlier and later as well.... I've inherited his old racing bike, needs a bit of a clean and new bar tape but is in pretty good condition, unfortunately it's far too small for me but looks good sitting there! My nan also has one in a matching colour with a drop tube.
I knew they were handbuilt in Cardiff but not much else, what a great thread to find!
I'll clean them up and post pics in the next week or so!

Re: Bryan Warnett, the frame builder.

Hello Jonmoore.
I have just read your thread in combination with WelshKiwis. It was very interesting. I have a welsh/Cardiff connection so it wasn't difficult to reel me in. I started riding as a 12year old with the Cardiff 100 miles RCC in September 1983. I was directed there after a visit to Charlie ( C W)Alexanders ,locally famous shop. There is a story for you that you could weave in in your documentary. He was also a framebuilder of rank, as i understand.He apparantly had a workshop on Cardiff Docks before he moved to Grangetown. I don't know an awful lot about him but i have heard a number of stories about him from other members in the milers, bitd as ones says in these modern times. He was definatley a character in my & probably many others opinion. It was an experience one doesn't forget once you had visited his shop and met the little man with oily fingers and his glasses perched either at the end of his nose or on his forhead that just continued. (He was bald, for those who haven't met him.)
The name Bryan Warnett rings a vague bell in my head for some unknown reason, in connection with the Byways Road club, another Cardiff club with many interesting characters on their members list.
I think it's how your uncles shop was organised that rings the loudest bell in my head. It sounds amazingly similar to Charlies. Having the shelves in order was not something that appeared to be of the biggest concern for these two masters.
Do you have something to work with?

Regards,
Richard Lees.

Good to hear that someone is compiling a list of surviving BW frames! I live in Ceredigion, and have one of his - designed for time-trialling, in its original livery, frame no. 9085 (which I think dates it to 1985, so it's just eligible for Eroica). Best regards, Bob

Back