Brifters and grease!!!

I and some of my mates have had trouble with STis especially the left one seizing after a period of inactivity. I reckon the factory applied grease sets. A squirt round with WD40 usually sorts it

I and some of my mates have had trouble with STis especially the left one seizing after a period of inactivity. I reckon the factory applied grease sets. A squirt round with WD40 usually sorts it
My experience exactly with my 8 speed 105. After a winter lay-off it would go onto the big ring but not the other way. (Not that I use the big ring much.......) Once on big ring it wouldn't come off. One day, using the bike for the first time after winter 'storage', exactly this happened. I passed a house with the garage door open and stopped and asked if they had any WD40, They had and in a couple of mins I was back on the road.

If it helps, I did the same with two sets of Shimano RX 100 /RXS 7 and 8 speed brifters about 9 months ago I bought both sets as not working . Flushing them out with WD40 repeatedly over a few days and letting them sit soon got them working, I then just glooped in a light machine oil, both sets been working ever since no issues!

FWIW I stopped using WD40 in favour of a real penetrating oil for cleaning old brifters and it works so much better. I've been using PB Blaster (Canada), but I've read there are some better products out there. I've been using jig a loo spray lube, because its in my shop. I'm sure there is something better.

Back