Brifters and grease!!!

Sir Neil d'Menture

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Got a pair of 8 speed Tricolour brifters. They decided to stop working so I did the usual trick of flooding the insides with WD40/spray lube. That worked and now they function as normal.
But I started thinking that what I've done will have removed some of the original grease meaning that I'm now down to metal on metal.
Is there any benefit of drawback to inserting some spray grease to replace what has been removed, or am I takling nonsense?

Got a pair of 8 speed Tricolour brifters. They decided to stop working so I did the usual trick of flooding the insides with WD40/spray lube. That worked and now they function as normal.
But I started thinking that what I've done will have removed some of the original grease meaning that I'm now down to metal on metal.
Is there any benefit of drawback to inserting some spray grease to replace what has been removed, or am I takling nonsense?
I can't see a problem with that, unless it needs a particular viscosity? I'm no expert though.

Yes, the existing grease looks thick but it's years old remember. They don't need loads of grease, just the thinnest of thin smear, mostly between pressure washers and moving parts and it's unlikely that you've washed out all of the original stuff in those areas. A spray of grease or heavy duty chain lube should be enough.

Back