brake/gear cable cutters

konahed":fu0qeycb said:
Anyone tried the IceToolz ones?

Me and they're pretty good. Nice clean cuts on all my cables now. One of the best investments I've made in my tool kit :D

I am - as the name suggests a Bikeshopowner! and work full time in the workshop and therefore cut a multitude of cables! Park are toooooo big! even for my enormous hands! Shimano all the way - we have usually got half a dozen pairs kicking around the workshop - they are the best and well worth the money!

nporternz":2wt17o7p said:
if you are using pliers then wrap some electrical tape around the cable as tight as you can. Not more than 2 layers though!!!

then cut through electrical tape and it holds cable together. If you cut toward to bottom of the tape (ie leave a minimal amount of tape on the cable) the cable end cap actually fits on over the tape.

job done

;) :D
i used to use more or less the same idea but i wrap it about 7 or 8 times around then cut with pincers [not pliers]
you need a strong grip though,or buy park ones for about £25
on the £25 thing i bet you'd spend that an yet another set of v's without thinking about it twice
Dont be so cheap ;) :LOL:

can i just say, i went out and bought some aviation tin snippers from focus today for 5 quid.

they cut the first cable. they didnt cut anymore.

they just made the blades twist, even after tightening the nut.

so, back to square one!!!

That'll be cause you bought tinsnips not cablecutters,there is a difference!

Gilbows

If you are going to use tin snips the only decent ones are Gilbows but they are £40+,but they do last forever!Not great for cables. I use an angle grinder for outers and inners but wrap electrical tape around the inners to stop them unravelling

legrandefromage":2g4dbs1y said:
I found some German 'Piano Power' wire cutters lying in the street - best cutters I've ever had.

You buy nowt, do ye??? :p

I use draper bolt cutters or stanley wire cutters...........dae the job fine.

Richie-T, sorry to hear my advice has bummed!! :oops:
Seriously though, i've been using mine for years, and no probs. I have got the nut done up tight, so you have to pull them apart. All i can think of is the quality of the ones you bought isn't good.

Back