Gxp Vs bb386 Evo?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So I bought a rather nice imho gravel bike off here and have done as I promised to myself and given it a few rides before doing any upgrades. It's a pinnacle Arkose X. I've just treated it to some use carbon summit bars (though didn't use the cable routing as would have needed to disconnect the brake hoses then bleed, maybe when they need doing I'll do that), a carbon pro vibe stem and a use carbon post.

The only other upgrades I'm thinking about are the saddle and the cranks, leading me nicely on to the question.

The bike has rival 1 11x1 gearing/drive train, the cranks are gxp. I have in my stash from my build a gravel bike from an MTB plan, a lovely set of FSA k force light carbon cranks. They are 2x but have factory blanks on the outer ring bolt holes, so I could pop the sram ring on the 'inner' and use them, but is it a good idea with them being bb386 Evo?

Are there any pros and cons of the two standards?

On the bb386 Evo side of things, I have the BB so that's no issue, though the bike is resplendent wearing mostly black finishing kit, and the BB is a silver colour. Do they come in black? Can I use any 30mm BB with the 386 axle? I have others, race Face and ethirteen in black if they will work? I can probably live with silver if I have to.

Cheers

Last edited:
May have time today to do this, any opinions?

I realised that the k-force cranks are 4 arm so not quite a simple swap as I'd need a 104bcd narrow wide ring in 42t.

Stranger still, and not sure if mine is the same but I was looking on eBay the other day and another set of k-force 4 arm cranks were up for sale so I added them to my watch list. The chain rings were marked as 110bcd but are 4 arm. What's that about?

Back