Bought this today...Mercian 653 lugless?

:)....have to wait 'til next week, sorry Matt :-(
I'm going in next Saturday, but then, am presuming I'll have to wait, maybe for an email.
Cheers.

It looks like a Mercian to me. I have a 20 year old Pro Lugless that was a total custom build. I also went for a cast Cinelli bottom bracket and fork crown. It is 531C tubes except for the seat tube that is 531ST. It also has a double wraped head tube for extra stiffness along with a down tube used as a top tube (over size tubing before it became fashionable!) also the head and seat tube are extended. This is all because I am a big boy and its a 25" frame.
My bottom bracket looks the same but mine does not have the shot in stays and so has Mercian on the top of the stays.It is equiped with Record Triple and has canti brakes and mud guards. It is a lovely bike to ride and riding home from work last year (sorry but its 20 miles on country lanes so is ok) a guy on a wizz bang plastic superbike came past, slowed then spent the next 5 miles telling me how much he like my bike!!!!!! I bet his will be in landfill in 20 years time...........

Thanks for your interest chaps :)
I got the news today I was hoping for..It is indeed a 'Pro Lugless' from 1993. It was built by their longest serving frame builder , Tony Phillips and does appear to have been a special order.
I'm thrilled, not only with how the bike rides, but with the service given at Mercian, they really are into what they do. I was lucky that when I went in, one of their builders was out-back and looked over it for me. I'll be replacing the front forks after the summer, so wanted some advice about that too.
All in all, a good day....and I've finally won the lottery....well my version of anyhow! :)

Andy69":1q1zvxcw said:
I got the news today I was hoping for..It is indeed a 'Pro Lugless' from 1993. It was built by their longest serving frame builder , Tony Phillips and does appear to have been a special order.
I'm thrilled, not only with how the bike rides, but with the service given at Mercian, they really are into what they do. I was lucky that when I went in, one of their builders was out-back and looked over it for me. I'll be replacing the front forks after the summer, so wanted some advice about that too.
All in all, a good day....and I've finally won the lottery....well my version of anyhow! :)

its a beaut

how much did you pay for it? :?:

otherself":1pssy0gk said:
Andy69":1pssy0gk said:

its a beaut

how much did you pay for it? :?:
Can you PM the reply to this privately - I have a feeling the price will make me feel ill & that I paid well over the odds for mine!!

Thank you all :) I will update as I go along.
I've ridden it pretty hard since I got it and have only had to replace the tyres and tubes so far, but the rear mech is pants, so an interim jobby from my stash will be going on this week.
Now I know it's a '93 and having had some good advice from the Mercian chaps, I have some future direction.
@ otherself, you are PM'd! ;-)

Andy69":3e2dkigr said:
Thank you all :) I will update as I go along.
I've ridden it pretty hard since I got it and have only had to replace the tyres and tubes so far, but the rear mech is pants, so an interim jobby from my stash will be going on this week.
Now I know it's a '93 and having had some good advice from the Mercian chaps, I have some future direction.
@ otherself, you are PM'd! ;-)

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back