Bought this today...Mercian 653 lugless?

That's lovely.

Take your time replacing bits, summer is here (maybe hiding today though) so enjoy riding it in the meantime, it's a stunning bike.

Re:

Yes I agree with those comments, that has the potential of being a great bike. Take your time with the build and enjoy the project. What a great find! I look forward to seeing updates.

Thank you guys.
I took it for a good ride this morning, in proper cross winds on Leicestershire's rolling lanes and it's lovely, even with the strange ITM forks. It's very light and yet also stable, not 'skitty' at all, which I thought might be the case when cornering because of those forks and modern rims, which kind of make me feel like an old chap on holiday in shiny trainers .
I've spent hours carefully flatting and polishing the now lovely Cinelli bottom bracket area, which was literally covered in muck and the cable guides too, which were full of layers of grease upon grease. My photo is a bit pants though.
I already have some ideas for the future and plan to go to Mercian this weekend to get some inspiration.
Cheers :)

Andy69":se61y1x1 said:
Thank you guys.
I took it for a good ride this morning, in proper cross winds on Leicestershire's rolling lanes and it's lovely, even with the strange ITM forks. It's very light and yet also stable, not 'skitty' at all, which I thought might be the case when cornering because of those forks and modern rims, which kind of make me feel like an old chap on holiday in shiny trainers .
I've spent hours carefully flatting and polishing the now lovely Cinelli bottom bracket area, which was literally covered in muck and the cable guides too, which were full of layers of grease upon grease. My photo is a bit pants though.
I already have some ideas for the future and plan to go to Mercian this weekend to get some inspiration.
Cheers :)

Might have a ride over there myself later - 10 mph into the headwind getting there, 30 mph all the way home!!

Well my visit to Mercian didn't go exactly as planned.
My serial number is being questioned as being possibly too short.
I didn't take the bike in as I had to take the wife shopping and daughter to footie training, so took photos in instead.
The number is too short, or shorter than usual, so I shall be going back in, this time with my bike.
I don't think there was any question, looking at the photos, whether or not it is a Mercian, or just another frame restored by them.
There are some unusual features, but then again, most frames are custom made.
It looks like a 'pro lugless', but it has a Cinelli bottom bracket. It also has Shimano dropouts which is kind of unusual.
Anyway, I'll find out soon!

Andy69":1rfp9wwb said:
Well my visit to Mercian didn't go exactly as planned.
My serial number is being questioned as being possibly too short.
I didn't take the bike in as I had to take the wife shopping and daughter to footie training, so took photos in instead.
The number is too short, or shorter than usual, so I shall be going back in, this time with my bike.
I don't think there was any question, looking at the photos, whether or not it is a Mercian, or just another frame restored by them.
There are some unusual features, but then again, most frames are custom made.
It looks like a 'pro lugless', but it has a Cinelli bottom bracket. It also has Shimano dropouts which is kind of unusual.
Anyway, I'll find out soon!
My Strada Speciale has shimano dropouts, by my Pro lugless has filleted bottom bracket. The cable guides on yours are the same as on mine. I still think it's a Mercian built to whatever spec the customer required i.e. he wanted the conventional bottom bracket. I would put a fiver one it!

Back