Bottom bracket query

eric_james

Senior Retro Guru
This is a bit modern for me

I guess I need a specific tool like a c spanner for this

Any ideas on what tool?

want to remove chainset

I guess you undo the non driveside first and the other side slides out?

cheers

Attachments

• bottombracket.jpg
    bottombracket.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 26
  • bottombracket1.jpg
    bottombracket1.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 25
Just unscrew the bolts in the NDS crank arm, pull it off, then pull / bash the drive side out. If you need the BB out then you will need the correct tool

If you'll only ever do it once then this is the cheapest tool option. Socket version are available but a tad more expensive.

Yes, undo pinch bolts on non drive side and slide the whole axle out.

You will also need to pop up a little bit of plastic that sits between the pinch bolts. This is a safety feature that stops the crank arm from falling off.

You 'might' be able to unscrew the BB by hand if it wasn't tightened properly. Worth trying before buying the BB tool if you are never planning on using ht2 bottom brackets and cranks in future, or even your lbs. Or even a pipe wrench if it will open that wide.

I'm an advocate of the right tool for the job though, plus it will come off cleanly and if the bearings are good, worth a few quid especially if you are selling the cranks.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot chaps. I got the chainring changed which was the purpose of removing

Didn't need to remove the bottom bracket

what are these pieces of plastic like ishaw?
I didn't notice anything when removing

greencat, I actually found it easy, after some good advice, maybe even better than the old fashioned way

At the moment there is no grease it's all dry, should I grease any part of it?

Cheers

Attachments

• cranks.jpg
    cranks.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 13
Plastic bit is in the gap between the pinch bolts on the non drive side arm.

Shimano FC-5600 security plate https://amzn.eu/d/imfkKfD

Is that rusty ring held in place properly by the bolts, look loose to me, or at least gaps before they hold the ring down.

You could put a bit of grease on the contact point between the axle and bearing, I'd suggest some copper grease on the chain ring bolts too to prevent them rusting like that ring.

Other than that the only grease needed should be in the bottom bracket bearings.

That was just a test fit, also the rusty thing has been tidied up a bit :D
might wire wool / abrasive pad it though

cheers for the link

Attachments

• crank3.jpg
    crank3.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 10
  • crank2.jpg
    crank2.jpg
    473.4 KB · Views: 10
I'm getting a very slight creak
have had this before and it was the pedals, changed pedals and still there

Also the bike hasn't turned a wheel in ages...had a bike that had been parked up for a while and the creak went away after use

But, can I remove the BB and clean and grease it up?
will that work

Back