BoTM May 2014 - Patina Special - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dialogue (along with pictures of pretty bikes) is entertaining.

The whining is subjective to each individual and certainly your post can be considered as whining to others.

That said, it's pretty easy just to scroll through to the pretty pictures if that is all you seek.

Or, wait until the poll and see all the pretty pictures at the top of the thread. Some months that's all I do :p

Re:

Great, because of the "special" thing, I didn't take pics of my Scott this Monday. Now the weather forecast predicts rain all week, basically ruining the only chance the bike would have ever had to actually stand a chance in BoTM.

:evil:

trail_head":1r9a73pb said:
What I want is to bring light to my feeling that he may have an unfair advantage in this competition.

This has been touched on before by me and few others. I originally feared retailers (or even manufacturers) direct involvement or association could add an unbeatable edge since they would have easier access to more unattainable machines and parts. There was a healthy discussion about that.

Since then and as alluded to in this thread already, each one of us has the power to decide whether that becomes a reality: through our vote. Apologies if you already knew and no offence to Nick, but none of his / their machines have won BoTM and most months there is an entry from the Pro's Closet. I'm not suggesting there's a secret conspiracy of votes - unlike others! - as I prefer to think that the majority of us are grown up enough to vote with our heads. And on that basis, it appears even with a dream bike, if we don't like it, it won't win.

Ductape":oohhkeuh said:
I would like to know more about the Yeti with nothing more than a clear coat? Was this really an option? Very cool.

Here is a snip from the back page of the 1993 catalogue. It's a bit pixelly, but "clear" is listed at 7 o'clock.
Understandably, more people took it on an ARC than a FRO!
Ultimately, I'd like to have one of each f these colours from the wheel in my collection. I'm missing the Forest Green and Matt Black. As we know already from an entry this month fuscia was also an option! Plus there were of course the zebra's splatters and fantastic Harelequin.

ridevintagemtb":gscn0stg said:
trail_head":gscn0stg said:
I feel your participation in botm, under your business name, is wrong.

To clarify: if he changed his username to "Nick," would that make you feel better? I don't mean to fight Nick's fight, but it's not like he's pulling levers from behind the curtain at TPC global headquarters. He's made it very clear that he's just Nick, a bike nut with a collection and wants to participate alongside everyone else.

Let me ask you a question, since money and elitism seem to always be an issue of discussion: if Travis' bike was offered to you free, would you not display it proudly? Or would you pass it on because your beneath owning something so historic? Your attitude reeks of hate towards members like Nick because they have the resources to bring this stuff out from garages onto the pages of retrobike and that makes zero sense to me.

I am thankful that sweet race bikes like these are out there for us to dork out over. To me, patina that comes from racing NORBA races will always win over splashing through puddles and leaving the bike to rust in some shed. But I'm an elitist I guess.

To be fair you are good pals, and you do business together in one form or another, so I wouldn't expect any other response than this.

And to be fair to "TrailHeads" Comments/points.

Those that have Pro Mechanics, Pro photographers, photograph studios etc etc etc......

Kinda does make light work of it.

This doesn't detract from the quality of that "Business" or there Collection though, Fair play, fantastic "Business" Model, in the Right part of town/world, to ensure the bikes find a seller, Must be lovely to earn Substantial Profits from "Retrobikers" to Cherry Pick for your own collection. Clearly works hard at it too, to go from a VW camper to an Empire in very little time at all.

I like the Business Set up a Lot, I take my hat off to the fella, I think hes a genius.

But do i think its about getting the STATUS of BOTM as recognition for the Business....?

Schools out for me on that one at the moment, but it does make you pause for thought.

Retrobike is for me the HUB of the entire worldwide retrobike community........And BOTM is quite an Accolade.

Yeti-man's Cannondale Skedaddle Bicycles NORBA racer edittion

10155652_10151976031557026_8515617358336480339_n.jpg

1484105_10151976031972026_4304217153497728838_n.jpg

It's funny, almost every month a topic is found and discussing endlessly about it! doing the real issue of BOTM is forgotten :(
This month for instance 'theproscloset' turn! Please lay off him, without such guys the RB would be (if at all) only half as interresting (at least for me). You can the same, if you're willing to invest a lot of money and time.

And now to the actual topic of BoTM (what was supposed to be discussed).

Well at first I was very skeptical about BoTM idea because I ask myself the question,
hasn't everyone their own image of patina? I think so! and it is a good thing.

My idea is, all bikes from late 80's early 90's are somehow patina, regardless of whether they have signs of heavy using or have been entirely renovated.

The fact is, if you still want to ride such bikes, you've to hold them in the state ...unless it's really here about museum bikes :LOL:

But unfortunately it's in the last time a phenomenon observed here in RB ...this is really sad -->
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=295489

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back